3a New Hair Growth is STRAIGHT???

JulianaKMGJulianaKMG Posts: 10Registered Users Curl Neophyte
 I finally had my hair where I wanted it roughly 7 months ago, but my roots are silky straight!!! I thought it was product overload, buildup, lack of treatment ANYTHING! (Yes I have tried clarifying and not using product) I have tried everything and it looks as if I have relaxed my hair about 7 inches from the root. I believe my hair texture is changing and all of my new hair is going to be straight :( Is there ANY possible way to prevent this??!  It is so bad that people are asking me if I’ve straightened half of my hair

Here are some photos of my hair from when it was where I wanted it and now. 

April 2017-September 2017 (yes I know the red is damaged and gross, it’s gone now ) curly and voluminous: 

My hair now!!! Like two completely different textures, no volume!

Answers

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    Hi @JulianaKMG : Let's take a look at some of the details and figure this out. So, either 1) your hair texture is changing or 2) it is not, and you are just having some buildup/styling/something else problem that can be fixed. My guess is that it is the second because the curl parts in the lower picture look kind of stringy too compared to before, like they also need some TLC.

But to rule out the first: Sorry if the following are personal questions. You don't have to answer them here, but ask yourself these questions and if there is anything irregular there, perhaps you should talk to a doctor. In the past 1 year, have you been to the doctor to rule out hormonal issues (thyroid, female hormone issues like PCOS), mineral deficiencies? Do you think you might need to rule these out - that is, is there a problem with your energy levels (thyroid), or is your cycle irregular or missing (PCOS)? Do you have autoimmune issues? How is your diet in general - has there been any change in your diet in the past year? Did you have a major illness in the past year? At your age, your female hormones are still fluctuating a lot and that can be a factor. What was your hair like when you were born, did it change to curly when you got older? What is your cycle like in the past year - has there been any changes? Is your cycle regular as in every 25-40 days? If you think there is something here, and want to learn more, start by charting your cycle. I learned about this when by reading a book aimed toward teens call Cycle Savvy by Toni Weschler. I wasn't diagnosing hair issues, but I used the data from charting to then diagnose some health issues that doctor's could never figure out. To do that I used the internet plus another book called Period Repair Manual. I was able to get both books from my local library.

Taking a look at the second problem, what did you clarify with, and how often do you do it? Do you follow with deep treatment? What products do you currently use on a regular basis? Also what is your hair properties (hair width, porosity, density)? (There is a guide in the newbie threads that can help out with that.)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • JulianaKMGJulianaKMG Posts: 10Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @bomega  Thanks for the help, my health has pretty much been consistent since I had my hair where I wanted it. I’ve been vegan for about 2 years but my hair was still flourishing the whole time, it’s just been recently that it has been lacking. I have fine, high porosity hair. I clarify with Deva Curl’s Buildup Buster, and I deep condition often with store bought deep conditioners or with hot oils. I have tried a wide range of products from ones that used to work for, to new ones. Shea Moisture’s Coconut Hibiscus Line, Cream of Nature, Cantu, and Deva Curl. I’m probably treating my hair better than I did when it was how I wanted it - which I’m guessing means it’s a texture change? 
    Well, I have a couple more thoughts. In terms of diet - I still think you should consider the possibility of mineral deficiencies, since you went vegan in the past couple years. It may have been a case that it took a while for you to run out of your reserves. I'm not overly certain this is it because you don't have major shedding happening. But I think it's something to consider for your next annual appointment with your doctor.

Another thing I wonder is are you having a mix of porosity happening? If I recall from your other thread, you had some hair color, which has now grown out? Perhaps the new growth is low porosity, and the old growth is high porosity, especially since all the products you listed are suited for high porosity. Perhaps the new low porosity growth is acting like that because of protein overload. (That straight stuff is what my low porosity protein sensitive hair does when I use any protein.) I think if you want to pursue this line and see if this is the case, you will have to switch to some protein-free products for a little while and see if the new growth part clears it self up. It will take more than just one washing - protein overload takes a little bit to get over. Start with a clarify+DT. To do this, here are some recommendations you can try:
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean, or Pure and Basic Clarifying Shampoo
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Deep Treatment, or Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Masque
    Shampoo/Rinseout Conditioner: Shea Moisture Low Porosity, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni Tea Tree. You could try the Alaffia Reishi Shampoo & Nourishing Conditioner if you can find it.
    Leave-in Conditioner: Shea Moisture Low Porosity, or As I Am Leave-in (The Giovanni leave-ins have protein.)

Those are just some choices that I happen to know are protein-free and are available at Target or Whole Foods (on the ground). You might find some other choices that will work.

I'm not sure we can say for sure yet that it is your curl texture changing. Honestly, I still am not convinced it is because although you are still young, there wasn't any additional trigger. If you are concerned though, the number one thing you can do is just stay healthy - pay attention to your cycle and help it stay steady. Eat enough protein, plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Minimize/Eliminate your junk food intake. I actually had the best hair in my life when I was eating a very high amount of dark leafy greens and fresh fruits (I also was eating an egg breakfast every morning). But these are things that will improve your hair no matter whether it is changing its hair texture or not.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

• JulianaKMGJulianaKMG Posts: 10Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    edited January 2018
    @bomega Thank you so much for all of the  recommendations and help!!! I will definitely be trying some of the products you mentioned!!! Can I update you on how it goes?
    I would *love* to hear how it goes!!! If the above doesn't do it, come back, and we might have some more ideas. Definitely let us know! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file