HELP!! I think I have 3b hair and its getting matted in the back under layer.

hannah5344hannah5344 Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I am using true by made beautiful shampoo and conditioner but my hair is a tangled mess and it is oily after a day. Any shampoo and conditioner suggestions?

Answers

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I have 3b hair but I don't use shampoo so I can't help you there. My long time favorite conditioners are Suave and VO5. They have good slip to help with detangling. I also have tangly hair since it has gotten long. I notice that the back underlayer of  mine gets extra tangled and matted from wearing it in a pony tail often. Not much I can do about it since I like wearing it that way, but I do try not to push up the ponytail holder a lot as I think that contributes to the problem. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    Hi @hannah5344 : Welcome to nc.com. Are you using these:
    True by Made Beautiful Moisturizing Shampoo
    True by Made Beautiful Nourishing Leave In Conditioner
    The shampoo has C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, which, while not a sulfate is still a serious cleanser. I would have to use a rinse-out conditioner before the leave-in after something like that. The leave-in by itself wouldn't cut it. This would make a good clarifying shampoo to follow up with a moisturizing deep conditioner. You could pick up the Intense Treatment Masque and use these 1x/week to 1x/month for a clarifying+DT.

Personally, I'm like the Alaffia Reishi line in general. You could try the Reishi Cleansing Shampoo and Nourising Conditioner. However, for specific product recommendations though, it would help to know your hair properties (hair width, porosity, density). There is a guide in the newbie threads that can help you do this.

Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome, @hannah5344!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would try some Kinky Curly Knot Today for detangling
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • ChescaCatChescaCat Posts: 12Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have a mix of type 3a and 3b curls and find that keeping my hair well conditioned is key for me. It used to mat like crazy when I was younger and brushing it hurt and made it frizzy. I've been using DevaCurl no-poo and original conditioner to wash and condition as well as Davines curl cream to style. I find that less product is more. My hair is super soft now, has defined curls, and rarely tangles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file