How do I get my curls back in hard water?

ineine Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
Hello,

I'm so glad I've found this page, the amount of info is overwhelming and it definitely makes me want to embrace my natural curls a lot more :smile:

To cut a long story short: I'm 32 and only recently started letting my hair breathe after years and years of straightening it since I was a teenager. This was pretty easy to do back home in Spain, as it's really humid in my hometown and the water is really soft. When I moved to Germany 4 years ago though, my hair started thinning and my curls basically disappeared. I used to be a 2c and now I'm a weird hybrid of 2c and 2a, my hair is shapeless and with different textures, and super dry and frizzy. I don't know what else to do, I've treated it with loads of different products, trim it regularly and I only wash it every 2 days. I do still straighten it sometimes because it's just easier than trying to curl it, and since it's winter here I need to leave the house with my hair fully dried (Berlin winter is rough!). 

I attached pictures from before and after I moved here. My roots seem very straight because I usually straighten the parting on my forehead, but I want to stop doing this. I only recently discovered the diffusor and I'm using it, but still haven't got the trick. 

Any tips? Thanks so much I'm so happy I've found this website I could cry <3 <3

BEFORE PICTURES

(I'm the one on the left)

AFTER PICTURES

Answers

• Pearl'sCurlsPearl'sCurls Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I have hard water here in the US and I squeeze a whole lemon and mix it with my normal amount of conditioner every wash day (or every other) and it really has helped remove the build up that occurs with hard water. I read that in the Curly Girl Handbook and couldn't believe how much it helped! If I don't do it too many wash days in a row my hair gets limp, stringy and will not hold a curl at all (I actually am a 2bish wavy with fine hair so EVERYTHING weighs my hair down... even worse in the dry winter weather). Good luck!
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 380Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm a country girl and we have a well. Super hard water. I use a clarifying shampoo at least once every 2 weeks followed by a deep conditioner, as well as making sure that no sulfates or silicones are used. 
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I live in a small town where the town's water supply is well-water, and have to clarify hardwater regularly. I do it with a citric acid rinse, which I learned about in this article on the Sciency Hair Blog: Hard Water and Your Hair. I used to have to do it about every 3-4 months, but then I started doing a sulfate clarifying shampoo about 1x/month to deal with product buildup, and this shampoo has EDTA in it. Since I started using this I have only had to do the citric acid clarify about 1x/year.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • ineine Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    wow I didn't even know about clarifying!! Thanks a lot everyone I will def try it <3
    There are loads of sulfate free clarifying shampoos that will remove all build up and somehow not strip your hair. My favourite is from Moptop. 
    __
    Canadian Mama!
    edited January 2018
    However, there aren't any clarifying shampoos that cost less than a dollar. In addition, the Moptop Clarifying Treatment has Cocamide MEA which is kind of questionable. Far more than an SLS. I only use the SLS about 1x/month. Really my hair has no problem with it at this frequency.

But, in the case of the OP, she needs a chelating agent. The Moptop doesn't have one at all. According to the Sciency Hair Blog really the EDTA in most shampoos aren't enough (unless they say they are hard water shampoos). However in my case it seems enough to mitigate it my hard water build up considerably.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

@Pearl'sCurls does the lemon juice change your colour in the long term?
    __
    Canadian Mama!
  • ineine Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    @bomega thanks for your comment! do you have any suggestions for chelating shampoos? how often would you use it, I've read once a week is good and I will also need deep conditioning because it might get dryer?
  • Pearl'sCurlsPearl'sCurls Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    @Savagegirl I haven't noticed any change (I'm medium/dark brown to begin with). I don't spend a lot of time in the sun though and I shower at night so it would be hours before I get into the sun. But the lemon juice hasn't changed my color at all. It has been the only thing that works for me (and definitely cost effective!)
    edited January 2018
    ine said:
    @bomega thanks for your comment! do you have any suggestions for chelating shampoos? how often would you use it, I've read once a week is good and I will also need deep conditioning because it might get dryer?
    Hi @ine,

The lemon juice-in-conditioner that @Pearl'sCurls uses and the citric acid rinse I do are both chelating treatments. But here is an article on the Sciency Hair Blog that explains it all, and also has some product rec's at the end: Hard Water and Your Hair.

She does suggest apple cider vinegar rinse as another DIY option, but I didn't find it to help my problem. She also says in the comments it didn't work for her. So, just like everything else with our hair, you might need to experiment a bit with this too. As for how often, that also you need to figure out for yourself. The article says "when your hair needs it". It might be a case of more often at first, and then you can back off on the frequency when your hair gets "caught up" or something.

I definitely do a deep conditioning after a citric acid rinse. Maybe using one of the ready made products or the lemon-juice-in-conditioner is a little easier on the hair.

Oh yeah ACV! As well as the sulfate free clarifying shampoos, I do sometimes use ACV rinses. Leaves my hair super soft!
    __
    Canadian Mama!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file