2c Fine Porous Thin Purple

SS2018SS2018 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
edited January 2018 in Introductions
Hi! My name is Sana and my hair is 2c...I think. I have almost no idea how to handle my hair. I wore a hijab for most of the "hair experimenting" teen phase, so I didn't ever really learn what made my hair halfway decent for public viewing. Now I no longer wear the hijab and find that my go-to hairstyle is a ponytail or bun (which, in your 20's is no longer as cute as it used to be)

My hair is fine, porous, and thin. I've always found my hair is oily at the roots and dry at the ends, so lately I've been training my hair to not produce so much oil by going as long as possible between washes (usually 5-7 days) and it's been working!!! Also, I started shampooing only the roots and conditioning only the ends. I've been using the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree brand (I'm not getting up to check if that's the actual name).

--don't shun me for the next part--
I like to wash my hair at night and then sleep with it wet in a braid...when I take it out in the morning it's such a soft, pretty wave that stays as long as I don't brush it, or run my fingers through it, or look at it the wrong way. Unfortunately, that only works for directly after washing....WHAT CAN I DO FOR DAY 2, 3, 4, 5?!?!?!?!?!?!??! If I don't brush my hair at least once a day, it becomes a rats nest of knots...so "not brushing it" isn't an option....tonight was washing night, but I'm trying the "pineapple" method, I put Moroccan Curling Perfection Defining Cream and diffused it first (which I promptly took a picture of and made it my profile pic)... I'm hoping I don't have an uncontrollable mess in the morning...

help me...please!  :#

Comments

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    [email protected] : Welcome to nc.com. The purple looks good in your hair. Sounds like you have started finding products that are working for you. Nothing wrong with sleeping in a braid if that is what works. Have you considered doing that every night, except just spraying your hair down either with water, or perhaps leave-in, or some refresh spray, and then braiding every night?

The concept of 2nd day hair is still eluding me, so I certainly can't comprehend 6th day hair (although I don't live under a rock - I know it happens to some people :D). However, here is a thread with a some of videos with refresh techniques. Personally, I do feel like their routines are a little product heavy, but they do have good-looking results. Perhaps you can adapt some of their ideas.

Finally, if you have fine high porosity hair, perhaps your hair can benefit from protein. The Sciency Hair Blog discusses protein at length in many articles. Here are few you might find interesting:
    - Protein 101 - Lots of Basic Information About Using Protein in Hair Products
    - IA Girl's Gelatin Protein Treatment: Gelatin Protein Treatment Recipe Update
    - If you are over 21 :) : Vegetarian-Friendly Protein Treatments for Hair
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome, @ss2018!  We're glad to have you here with us! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • SS2018SS2018 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    Thank you! I haven’t tried wetting it down every night so that will be my first trial :) and I’ll be sure to look into the protein thing!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to NC @SS2018!  I love your purple hair and I think it looks great. Have fun experimenting! 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    How's it going? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file