Hi everyone

MissMilaMissMila Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 46 Curl Connoisseur
Im half italian and used to have beautiful curls. Unfortunately I followed the straight trend in my teens and used the flat iron a lot. I had my hair chemically straightened as well. All this straightening turned my curls into waves and it is now fairly easy for me to straighten it with just a brush while blow drying. I think my hairtype is 2b.
About 8 months ago I ditched shampoo because it made my hair very oily at the scalp and dry at the ends at the same time. I noticed that my curls are coming back now, but they arent nice and defined yet, very messy and all over the place. I dont wanna straighten my hair and ruin them again though, so I joined here to learn more about how to take care of my curls properly.

At the moment I wash my hair with water almost every day. 1-2x a week I use rye flour and apple cidar vinegar as a shampoo. Once a week I apply coconut oil over night and wash it out in the morning with Weleda Baby shampoo (its sulfate and silicon free and the most natural shampoo that actually gets the oil out of my hair).
I just ordered some Devacurl conditioner because a friend recommended it and Im hoping this will help me get my nice curls back.

Hopefully I can find some ways to style my hair in the meantime, so that it doesnt look awful when not tied up. Im very grateful for any style, product or routine tips!
Especially my day 2 hair is horrible. Most days I have to wash it to style it because it looks flat and frizzy and unclean when curled. Before I would just brush out the curls and wear it straight the 2nd and 3rd day until next wash, but Im trying to avoid that now. Ive tried sleeping with a tshirt wrapped around my head, but that only made a small difference.

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to Naturally Curly!  Do you wear your hair in a pineapple at night?  It helps with getting better second day hair.  Also sleeping on a silk or satin pillowcase.  It takes a while to get the hang of second day hair. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome @MissMila!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to NC @MissMila!  It took me years to get the hang of 2nd day hair and mine is still not that great. Have fun experimenting! 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @MissMila : Welcome to nc.com. :) You got some good ideas above. I agree that getting the hang of 2nd day hair can be tricky. Here is a thread on Curltalk that might have some ideas for your: Sleeping and Refreshing.

But other than take a look around Curltalk, especially the newbie threads. There are some great resources there to get you started.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • MissMilaMissMila Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 46 Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for the comments!
    Im still very new to this so Im happy about all the suggestions. I just started reading more about it on here and I will definitely give the pineapple a go. I also refreshed the curls this morning with some water and conditioner and it looked mich nicer than before. Still not amazing, but definitely wearable in public :)
    I actually went to the hairdresser today and cut quite a bit off because my ends were very thin and uneven when curled. My hair looks much fuller now and is more bouncy, but I have to see in a few days when the ‘new haircut shine’ wears off :)
  • MissMilaMissMila Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 46 Curl Connoisseur

The first photo is 2nd day hair I am used to before I decide it looks awful and dead and brush it out or tie it up.
    the second pic is 2nd day hair this morning before my cut. The curls look much more defined now and its more shiny. But the hair is just so thin and broken at the bottom. I actually cut the back chin length and the front a bit longer, so I cut quite a bit. 
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair looks great!
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Wow!  Lots of curl!  Love to see post-cut pix. Does it feel great to have all those damaged ends off? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file