Help- Curls and I don't know who to turn to!!

Kitterattack96Kitterattack96 Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
My hair is Curly and that's All I know it as. I NEVER knew there were certain types of curls or anything like that. I spent years hating my Curls because when I was growing up I never saw anyone who had curls like mine. I am 21 and finally embracing them and I don't have a single clue at where to start. I have a combination between African American hair and Caucasian hair. So I grew up being told to braid it down and grease it up or Just leave it alone and don't touch it. So it lead to me Straightening with a Flat iron and Bleaching and Dyeing for a while. I switched my hair products about a year and a half ago to Garnier Curl Nourish stuff and it took my hair from Half straight/Half Curly to having curls again. I would REALLY appreciate some sort of Tips. Thank you so much!

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @Kitterattack96 : Welcome to nc.com. Good for you for embracing your natural hair texture! It can be challenging at times to figure out what our curls needs, but you came to the right place.

At nc.com, a lot of us follow the Curly Girl Method (or a modified version of it) to help our curls thrive. A cornerstore of the CG-Method is to avoid ingredients that are damaging to the hair in the long run. This includes non-water soluable silicones, mineral oil, petrolatum, drying alcohols (fatty alcohols are ok), sulfates, and ideally parabens for health. I mention this because I think all the Garnier products have silicones in them. To identify if a silicone needs to be avoided, please see this article: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/silicone-ingredient-solubility-list.html

After that, try to learn what you can about the CG Method. A lot of people learned by reading the book The Curly Girl Handbook by Lorraine Massey. But there are also articles around nc.com to help (but for the life of me, I can't find the one I learned from). In addition, you can get a lot of info in the newbie threads of Curltalk. Ideally you should start by identifing your hair properties (hair width, porosity, density). These will provide a clue as to what products and techniques will probably work best with your hair. There is a guide in the newbie threads with info on how to figure out this out.

If you can tell us your hair properties, we might be able to help out with recommendations.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome, @Kitterattack96!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Kitterattack96Kitterattack96 Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thank you so much. Its very hard for me to figure out what Curl type I have because one day it will be Three inches longer on one side than the other, then half Curls half straight, or other days it will be slight frizzy small curls. I have the hardest time figuring it out for that reason. 
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @Kitterattack96 : It's ok that you don't know your curl type. What you are describing is actually pretty common - curl type is not invariant on a person. However, hair properties are (more so at least...although these can change. But usually when they change it is in response to something intrinsic to your hair or health). The hair properties I mean are the hair width, porosity, and density. These will directly influence what types of products and techniques are most likely to work with your hair. There is a thread in the newbie section of Curltalk that should help you figure this out (I think there is an article somewhere on nc.com that does too).
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Let's take it step by step, day by day!  Don't get frustrated..... we'll get you there! 
    Check out this thread... a lot of newbies have found it very useful. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to NC @Kitterattack96!  Take your time, look around, experiment! 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file