Detangling wavy hair: wet or dry?

WildberryWildberry Posts: 90Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur

The headline says it all! Wet or dry, when do you guys detangle?

Best Answer

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Wildberry said:
    Thank you all for the replies! I'm asking because my hair has become incredibly smooth and tangle-free in the 2 weeks since I started the CG method. If I gently finger comb through my hair when dry, they glide through with no problem. I've read that I should do the detangling in the shower, but it feels easier to do it when it's dry. Is that a bad idea for my hair?
    If you can finger detangle dry and it's easier, then do it!
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Answers

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Mostly wet.  Once in awhile if I notice a tangle forming, I will do it dry one strand at a time.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    My hair is curlier than yours but I detangle wet with lots of conditioner.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I always detangle before I wash, very carefully with my fingers only.

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• FLsmidgetFLsmidget Posts: 30Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I detangle wet with lots of conditioner. I use my fingers unless I got caught up in some crazy wind and my hair is extra tangled. Then I use a wide tooth comb or a tangle teezer brush. But always wet and with loads of conditioner in it to avoid breakage. HTH
    2c fine, medium density, high porosity

Humid FL

Co Wash: Sauve Tropical Coconut Conditioner
    Conditioner: Biolage HydraSource, SM JBC0
    Deep Conditioner: SM Manuka Honey, SM JBCO
    Leave In: SM JBCO, AG Fast Food Moisture 
    Stylers: CK, Deva Arc Angel, Eden Coconut Defining Cream, Cantu Curl Activator

FlSmidget said:
    I detangle wet with lots of conditioner. I use my fingers unless I got caught up in some crazy wind and my hair is extra tangled. Then I use a wide tooth comb or a tangle teezer brush. But always wet and with loads of conditioner in it to avoid breakage. HTH
    @FISmidget, do you like the tangle teezer brush? I have heard of them and always wondered if they would be damaging.

• FLsmidgetFLsmidget Posts: 30Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I like it. It doesnt seem to damage or pull my hair, and my hair is prone to break easily, but I use lots of conditioner when I comb it through. 

Humid FL

edited January 2018
    Thanks for the reply @FSImidget.  My hair breaks easily, too, that is why I don't use a brush. I was curious about the tangle teezer.

@ellaj. I dont use the brush all the time. Only when it gets extra tangled and my fingers only wont cut it

Humid FL

• SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 380Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I cant get any tangles out unless I have slippy conditioner!! Lots of fine hair. 
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • WildberryWildberry Posts: 90Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you all for the replies! I'm asking because my hair has become incredibly smooth and tangle-free in the 2 weeks since I started the CG method. If I gently finger comb through my hair when dry, they glide through with no problem. I've read that I should do the detangling in the shower, but it feels easier to do it when it's dry. Is that a bad idea for my hair?
    @Savagegirl mine is the same way. The minute I try to detangle while dry without conditioner I swear I can hear it break.

Humid FL

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    I detangle dry with a wide-tooth comb. I never force it through but work gently from the ends up.

However, I used to detangle wet in the shower, and this gives me overall better clumping and curls. I only stopped doing this when the drought came and we were all called to cut back on water usage. Our snow reserves are back up, but I got in the habit of detangling dry.

ETA: I also don't have a whole lot of detangling to do, and it does seem to go faster if I detangle dry.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file