I'm lost... Can't figure it out anymore!

larinnalarinna Posts: 16Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
So...  I talk with friends and on-line girls (some with curls, some without).  Some knows my hair problemsss (with a triple s since I can't fix my hair).  Some saw my hair in real time, some haven't since we only talk online.   Sooo...  My hair...  What type of hair do I have?  I can't say since they don't wavy, they usually curl like a coil curl BUT when I try to fix them and make them look good, they look like...  well like bleh.  I know I have a low porosity problem right now and I have to fix it. I use a Cleaning Conditionning, a DIY detangling and Marc anthony Curl Envy Cream.  But my hair look frizzy and not as curly as they shold.  So any suggestions?  Oh and I'm from Canada (Quebec) if possible, I would like to buy product from Canada since they're just earier to find. 
2C-3A Fine, thin density, medium lenght, not sure about porosity
Co-washing
Was using chemical hair dye transitioning to natural hair dye
37 years young Canadian mother of 4 kids (18 yo B, 11 yo B, 9 yo B and 7 yo G)
LOVES make up, hair trend, theater and music
English is NOT my first language so I might make some mistakes...

Best Answers

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @larinna : Welcome to nc.com. If you want help figuring out how to deal with your hair, you came to the right place! From your photos, I would say your curl type is around 2c/3a in the first photo, and maybe a solid 2c in the second. I actually think your hair looks pretty good in those photos, but maybe you have some goals in mind? First, it would be most helpful for you to know what your hair properties are (hair width, porosity, density). I'm a little confused - you said you have a low porosity problem, but 1) usually color treated hair is high porosity - are you sure you are low porosity? and 2) low porosity hair isn't a problem! :) There is a guide in the newbie threads that can help you figure out your hair properties.

The other thing you want to do is take careful stock of your hair products and try to avoid ingredients that are not curly girl friendly. This would be sulfates, non-water-soluable silicones, drying alcohols (fatty alcohols are ok), petroleum by-products (mineral oil, petrolatum) and ideally parabens for health. Some people can use some or all of these ingredients without trouble, but since you are reporting problems, best to avoid them and let your hair get healthy. I mention this because most if not all Marc Anthony products have silicones in them. So take a look to identify if an ingredient is a non-water soluable silicones take a look at this article: Silicone Ingredient Solubility List. We can help you check out your products if you like, but it would help a lot if you can post the name and ingredients list here.

Anyway, so let us know your hair type and we can go from there!

Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 380 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    Franco ici si tu veux jaser 😉
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • WildberryWildberry Posts: 90 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    The hair-in-water test is pretty unreliable, or so I've heard. Have you checked out the texture quiz at the top of the page, under "my curls"? Don't know if that's any help in self-diagnosing. You have really pretty hair, btw! 
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Welcome to NC @larinna!  Color treated hair has it's own problems and issues, none of which I can help with since my hair isn't color treated. But good luck and have fun learning and experimenting! 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    @larinna : What a difference! It seems like maybe your hair needs hydration. Another thing you can try - if you can find a leave-in conditioner that is CG-friendly, use that under the Curl Cream.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

Answers

• larinnalarinna Posts: 16Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    bomega said:
    Hi @larinna : Welcome to nc.com. If you want help figuring out how to deal with your hair, you came to the right place! From your photos, I would say your curl type is around 2c/3a in the first photo, and maybe a solid 2c in the second. I actually think your hair looks pretty good in those photos, but maybe you have some goals in mind? First, it would be most helpful for you to know what your hair properties are (hair width, porosity, density). I'm a little confused - you said you have a low porosity problem, but 1) usually color treated hair is high porosity - are you sure you are low porosity? and 2) low porosity hair isn't a problem! :) There is a guide in the newbie threads that can help you figure out your hair properties.

The other thing you want to do is take careful stock of your hair products and try to avoid ingredients that are not curly girl friendly. This would be sulfates, non-water-soluable silicones, drying alcohols (fatty alcohols are ok), petroleum by-products (mineral oil, petrolatum) and ideally parabens for health. Some people can use some or all of these ingredients without trouble, but since you are reporting problems, best to avoid them and let your hair get healthy. I mention this because most if not all Marc Anthony products have silicones in them. So take a look to identify if an ingredient is a non-water soluable silicones take a look at this article: Silicone Ingredient Solubility List. We can help you check out your products if you like, but it would help a lot if you can post the name and ingredients list here.

I did the test "hair in the water".  When my hair are wet, they're quite elasctic until they break...  I'll take a new picture tomorrow since those are a bit old...  ALl I want is to have nice curls that looks healthy, not frizzzy..  ;)  
    Co-washing
    bomega said:

I did the test "hair in the water".  When my hair are wet, they're quite elasctic until they break...  I'll take a new picture tomorrow since those are a bit old...  ALl I want is to have nice curls that looks healthy, not frizzzy..  ;)  
    Co-washing
    edited January 2018
    So...  I took a pictures of my hair today but it doesn't turn out as good as I hope so but I'll put it on any way just to show what I mean.  Before I had this color (burgundy/grape), I had blond/bleached hair.  

My hair takes forever to dry now...  
    Co-washing
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 380Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    How about Olaplex? That was great for me when I coloured my hair. 
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I also have never colored my hair before. You could experiment with protein treatments. However, if you are still planning on going in to see the Deva stylist, they might have some ideas.

UPDATE
    I was kind of desperate since we don't find much stuff in the shops around here and needed (well more wanted  :D ) right now...  So I found Cantu deap treatment mask and the Dippity-Do Curl Defining Cream with a reagular free sulfate + paraben shampoo and conditioner.  Only this makes a HUGE difference!

Co-washing

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file