New and trying to figure out hair type?

SylviaL97SylviaL97 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited January 2018 in Hair Type 2
Hey everyone! So I'm super new to all this...in fact I may have posted this already, but I think I may have accidentally deleted it...So who knows lol. Anyway, I need some advice. I believe my hair type is 2a, but I'm not sure? I wasn't even convinced that I was naturally wavy til recently; I didn't even consider the thought until my best friend (who I believe is a 3b/c) told me she thought my hair was wavy. At the time I was like, "No, unfortunately I just have really weird straight hair that likes to twist and turn in all random directions lol!" But then I started letting my hair air dry (instead of round brushing it was a blow dryer) and it turned out like the picture below! I was shocked when I noticed my waves, and I really want to try to embrace them now lol. But I wanted some advice on where to start! Like I said, I think my hair is type 2a because of the wave pattern (really loose and undefined), but my hair is also really thick, has high porosity, and some days my waves are more noticeable than others. I'm also just now getting into the idea of using wavy hair products, mousse, gel, diffusing, etc. Any ideas on exactly what hair type I am and how best to bring out my waves? Thanks in advance! 

Best Answer

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @SylviaL97 : Welcome to nc.com. It looks like you do have a 2a wave there. Have you been familiarizing yourself with the Curly Girl Method. If you start following this method, you might find that your curls really start to come out. To learn about the CG Method, many people get the book the Curly Girl Handbook by Lorraine Massey, which lays it all out. Many people also learn from reading around nc.com and Curltalk. I learned from an article on nc.com that I can't find again to this day. There is also a lot of info in the newbie threads of Curltalk. so check it out! :)

For product recommendations, it is more helpful to know other hair properties such as hair width, porosity, and maybe density. There is a guide in the newbie threads for this too.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Answers

• SylviaL97SylviaL97 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thanks! I’ll definitely be checking all that out! I think my friend owns that book, I’m going to have to borrow it now!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file