New and trying to figure out hair type?

SylviaL97SylviaL97 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited January 2018 in Hair Type 2
Hello everyone! So I'm super new to all this lol...I actually never thought I had wavy hair until recently. I only first considered the idea when my best friend, who I believe has 3b hair, told me she thought I had naturally wavy hair. At the time I was like, "No, unfortunately I only have weird straight hair that likes to twist and turn in random directions lol!" But then I started letting my hair air dry without doing anything to it (i.e. no blow dryer and round brush) and it turned out like the picture below! I was shocked to see I actually do have some waves, so now I'm finally trying to bring them out with products for wavies lol. So finally my question: I think I have 2a hair, but I'm not sure? My hair is super thick, has high porosity, and some days it's wavier than others, but I'm only just now getting into the idea of using wavy products, mousse, gel, diffusing, etc. So any ideas on what exactly my type is and how best to bring out my waves? Thanks in advance! (And sorry for this crazy long post lol)

Best Answers

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    You might benefit from reading this post: https://curltalk.naturallycurly.com/discussion/185989/am-i-a-curly-girl-or-is-it-wrong-for-me#

Lots of great advice in there and look at her before and after! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • MichelleMichelle Administrator Posts: 742 Administrator
    Accepted Answer
    Sylvia:

Welcome! I cofounded the site with Gretchen 20 years ago!

You might want to check out our Texture Quiz. You'll be able to determine all of the attributes that affect your hair - from curl pattern to porosity to width along with articles about each of those topics.

Michelle

Michelle
    co-founder
    NaturallyCurly.com
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Welcome to NC @SylviaL97!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Answers

• SylviaL97SylviaL97 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited January 2018
    Thanks everyone! Thanks for the link Gretchen, there were definitely a lot of good tips in there! I just bought some shampoo and conditioner from the DevaCurl Weightless Waves line, thought that would be a good place to start. I haven’t tried them yet, but am looking forward to using them! I also have the DevaCurl Wave Maker mousse, and just some cheap LALooks Extreme Sports gel since I saw Grace use it in one of the Youtube videos. I’ve also been watching tons of videos about wavy hair, and am looking forward to trying out different methods, like the “squish to condish” and SOTC methods, I’ve heard doing that stuff can make a world of a difference to wavy and curly hair! 
    And I just took the Texture Quiz Michelle! It looks like (if I understand my hair correctly lol) that I have 2a hair that is high porosity, medium density, and pretty coarse in thickness. Any ideas on products that are good for these properties?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file