How do I skip brushing?

Tegs99Tegs99 Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I know i shouldn't brush my hair but I do most mornings anyway because I feel like I have no choice and then inevitably (unless I'm particularly lucky that day) my hair looks like a poofy triangle and I clip it up anyway. If i use no styling product my hair is more likely to be able to be worn down after brushing but the curls are less defined, if I use styling product in my hair I wake up  with curls that are defined but also thin where they haven't clumped properly, uneven, different shapes and too medusa-like to be seen out in public so I brush my hair. Neither scenario is ideal but I alternate between the two because I don't know what else to do.
(I wash my hair in the evenings which i know is part of the problem but I have no time in the morning and there isn't enough hot water for everyone in the house to shower in the morning anyway, after washing I apply leave-in conditioner and sometimes a curling cream)

Answers

• Tegs99Tegs99 Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I can't change my account settings but I'm probably a 2c/3a (at least that's my best guess)
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm going to take a stab at this in order to bump you up in case your question gets lost in the forum.
    Are you doing the curly girl method? If not, it's a good place to start.
    I only brush my hair with a tangle teezer on wash day to distribute my leave in and styler, then I use a gel and scrunch my wavy hair. I avoid the messy look from not brushing by preserving my curls overnight with a pineapple and satin scarf.
    I hope others will give you more advice as I do brush my hair since finger detangling and wide tooth comb are not enough for me.
  • curry curlscurry curls Posts: 1,083Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Many mornings, I will clip my hair up with little jaw clips leaving some pieces of hair down. I don't brush it. Then, I take a quick shower, and the steam curls the pieces that I left down. Sometimes, I will add a little product to those pieces. I know you said you shower at night, but could you take a quick shower just to steam your hair? Or you could spray your hair with water to reactivate your curls if you have put products in the night before. Some people plop overnight so that they can just take their hair out of the plop in the morning and either finish drying it or just style it from there. 
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

Co-wash: Deva Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: Deva Decadence One Condition
    Leave-in/Styling: Deva Decadence One Condition and Deva Heaven In Hair
    Others: ACV rinses and protein treatments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @Tegs99 : It's ok that you are showering at night, but you don't need to brush your hair in the morning if you use some techniques. Here is a thread with a couple of youtuber's night-time (including pineappling and its variants) and morning refresh techniques: Curltalk - Sleeping and Refreshing. real life+curly girl from that thread has a video on her channel about "Sleeping in the Crunch" which you might be able to make work for you. Alternatives to pineappling could be to sleep with a buff or hair cover, or maybe getting a silk pillowcase. In fact, here is a routine that someone recently posted that gives her great curls, clumps and volume, where she does the washing at night: My Volume Routine for Thin/Flat 2b/2c/3a hair (however, this routine does seem a little involved.)

Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    Thank you @bomega @currycurls and @BrittanyM for the advice. 

I slept in a pineapple last night but that seems to have made even made the problem worse, sleeping with my hair down seems to at least prevent my hair from being so hard- which makes no sense because I don’t use gel or any hard cast products, I’ve even tried to scrunch the crunchiness out of this morning with leavein mixed with water which fixed the hardness somewhat but the pattern still seems to have set very strangely, almost like I’ve used too much product but I took barely a finger tip worth of the curling cream. (And I have quite a lot of hair)
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @Tegs99 : Did you take a look at any of those refresh videos? Although I don't use styling products, I gather from the videos I've seen that a firm hold/hard hold gel actually makes it easier to refresh...
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    I have watched the videos but i hadn’t noticed that they use gel, so thanks for drawing my attention to that. I’ve now been looking into overnight gel casting and that looks like that might be a good way to hold my curls so I hope it works! 
    I mean I noticed they used gel but I thought that was more as a coincidence, as if it was their choice is styler. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file