3a3b curls. Can I apply coconut oil as leave in and folllowed by DevaCurl cream and gel?

ShilpaShilpa Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte

Answers

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    You never know what will work without giving it a try! : )   My hair is also 3b with some 3a. The top of my hair is low porosity and doesn't like any oils but the ends are highly porous and they really like coconut oil.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • ShilpaShilpa Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    I am so worried about my hair loss. I always applied coconut oil on my hair all my life into the age of 22. And then it was so much infrequent. I am 32 now and I am loosing ton of hair on top of my head. I am trying to follow loc method. Can I apply few drops of castor oil to the roots to increase the hair growth and coat my wet hair with few drops of coconut oil and then do the DevaCurl coconut based cream followed by gel?  
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    Hair loss can be caused by so many things that may or may not have anything to do with how we treat out hair. Have you ruled out health reasons?
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    Hi @Shilpa : Welcome to nc.com. I agree with @jeepcurlygurl that you should start by ruling out health issues. Thyroid imbalances, female hormone imbalances, PCOS, severe illness, poor diet/mineral deficiencies (including iron deficiency), inflammatory diet can cause hair loss.

If you have already seen a doctor for these issues, check out this article on the Sciency Hair Blog for thinning hair: Scientifically tested, over-the-counter treatments for thinning hair

Under Item 2, she talks about using a caffeine spray on the scalp, and it has definitely reduced my shedding. I brew up a tea with either 1quart distilled water/black tea bag, or 1 pint distilled water/green tea bag for the approximate caffeine concentration she lists.

Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome @Shilpa!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji