New L'Oreal ad.

WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
I am not trying to make this discussion about how a woman wears her hair, or religion or race.  But the new L'Oreal ad for hair has a woman wearing a hijab.  What are your thoughts?  Please keep the comments to the fact that a hair product ad has a woman that has hair you can't see.

Personally I haven't come to a decision. 

I know L'Oreal wants to appeal to all hair care customers, even those that don't show their hair in public.  I know hair care commercials are unrealistic with professional stylists doing the model's hair.  You can probably take dollar store products in the hands of a professional and make my hair look better than me doing my hair with high end products.

On the other hand it would be like me in a lipstick ad.  I don't wear lipstick, so how can you tell how good it is.
2b, 2c,
High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    I didn't see the ad you are referring to, so this is based on just what you said above. I don't think it is the quite the same as the lipstick example you gave. You actually don't wear make-up, where as a hijab-wearing woman does shampoo/condition/style/set her hair, and I think the existence of this ad implies L'oreal understands that. I see this ad as directly trying appealing to a Muslim woman who covers, and also as an indirect signal of inclusiveness of the Muslim culture to the viewer (since the hijab is a symbol of being Muslim to a Western audience.)

Overall, I think this makes sense. Like you said, most ads aren't even about measurable results with their product (unless they quote statistics or reference anecdotal information, for example Suave ads.) Ads are all about appealing to our emotions (and this is true even with ads claiming measurable results). This ad probably has different shots of the woman being happy somehow and they somehow associate that with L'oreal. Like every other ad.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 380Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Likely just trying to appeal to the masses and to the current subjects in the news.

Not your typical hair commercial! 
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    I think this is more than a generic appeal to the masses. Muslim women who cover aren't really accepted by the masses, not in the US or in the UK, and have laws against them in some European countries. A general appeal to the masses might have been a more generic "Benetton Rainbow" type ad. But here they are making a directed message to a specific group, albeit conspicuously...so that everyone knows they are.

I agree that it is definitely not a typical hair ad, though. :)

(edited to correct a couple of pretty bad typos!)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file