So oily I have to wash my hair often! HELP

RavkiaRavkia Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
Hello everyone! I've been learning a lot about my hair lately and trying out some new routines and everything is working incredibly well... but there is a huge problem... I keep reading about how most of you can spend as long as 5 days without washing your hair and it looks fine, I'm afraid I can't do that because by the end of my day 2 my scalp is begging for more shampoo. How can I make it healthier if I have no other option than washing it that often? Is there any way to fix this? Please, I would love your advice. 
Thank you! 

Comments

• Whitty3980Whitty3980 Registered Users Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    My scalp is the same way. For me, I have wash day, then skip one day, then cowash day, then gentle shampoo again. I try to do a cowash (I use As I Am cowash, I feel like it still cleans well), and then just use a really gentle shampoo. My scalp is happier for it and it works for me. :) You can still have healthy hair and use shampoo. :) welcome by the way! :)
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Ravkia said:
    Hello everyone! I've been learning a lot about my hair lately and trying out some new routines and everything is working incredibly well... but there is a huge problem... I keep reading about how most of you can spend as long as 5 days without washing your hair and it looks fine, I'm afraid I can't do that because by the end of my day 2 my scalp is begging for more shampoo. How can I make it healthier if I have no other option than washing it that often? Is there any way to fix this? Please, I would love your advice. 
    Thank you! 
    I wash my hair everyday with a non-sulfate gentle shampoo. Many people do this either for their hair, their scalp, or both, and this is a common example of Modified Curly Girl Method. It is also common to start out doing the low-poo method, then gradually transition to cowashing. My hair is happy with my everyday low-poo+rinseout conditioner though. Mostly you need to figure out what works for you and your hair.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • WildberryWildberry Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 90 Curl Connoisseur
    I recently started CG, but back when I was using sulfate and silicones, I used to wash every day too. I had really dry hair and an oily scalp/top, so I never even knew what kind of products to buy.

After reading everywhere how bad that is for your hair AND skin, I started to shower every other day (still using sulfates), and just put my hair up on the second day.  Eventually it got better (after about a month), and I could move on to washing on the third day.

I actually have the same problem with my face. If I mess about too much,cleanse it with products and put on heavy products, my skin gets really oily. No, I mean it. REALLY oily. Like, body builder oiled skin. It makes sense that my scalp does the same thing when stripped of moisture.

How long have you gone without sulfates?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file