Hair is frizzy when wet and has trouble clumping??

sophia55sophia55 Posts: 11Registered Users Curl Neophyte
My hair is 2b (2c on a good day) low porosity thick coarse hair. I have been doing the CG method for a year and I use the shea moisture low porosity product line. My hair is usually well moisturized, especially because I don't use any products with protein. However, my hair is always at least a little bit frizzy even directly when I get out of the shower. There are always a couple strands of extra frizz. And then when my hair dries I get some surface frizz, which really bothers me as well. My hair also has troubles clumping, it is not completely terrible at clumping but it also does not clump as well as I want it to. I'm not sure why this is happening because clarifying shampoo every week. I also do an ACV rinse every once in a while and last week I used baking soda to deep-clarify my hair which was refreshing. I also don't think I have product buildup because I don't use much styling product and they are also non-buildup products anyways. I'm not sure why I'm having the issues or how to fix them. Any advice, information would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Have you tried deep conditioning? 
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @sophia55 : I have few thoughts about this:

1) You might still benefit from clarifying/DT. Even the healthy emollients and also conditioning ingredients like BTMS/BTC will build up. Its just not as bad as with silicones because they don't block moisture from reaching the hair shaft. They just sit around being a nuisance until they are clarified away. The SM Low Porosity line has BTC in it, and will need to be clarified periodically with a clarifying agent like C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate. There are other clarifiers that will work - please see this article for more info: Shampoos Which Remove: Product Build-Up

2) The Sciency Hair Blog has an article about Moisturizing Low Porosity Hair, and another about Deep Treatment. Even before I read this (or even heard of the Sciency Hair Blog) I used to do something like this, and used to use Aubrey Organic Swimmer Conditioner for a deep treatment. Lately, by accident, I have been using a cation conditioner free conditioner to do my deep treatment, and adding a little oil for a boost. She suggests adding protein to boost if you want, but honestly, I'm not sure it is necessary to completely avoid BTMS/BTC. Overall, my hair has done well with these ingredients, and if you want to start out deep treatment with a ready-made product I think that's probably fine. But this is something to experiment with.

3) The SM Moisture Low Porosity line has glycerin in it, and this might be contributing to your frizz. It might not be though if you aren't using glycerin in your styling products. What are you using for styling products?

4) Finally, what techniques are you using? Many people like scrunching and plopping, but I found these techniques increase my frizz and decrease my clumping. I might be doing it wrong, but I find just drying my hair with a t-shirt and smoothing it down the length of my hair while gently squeezing helps improve clumping/decrease frizz.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • sophia55sophia55 Posts: 11Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Therese1 said:
    Have you tried deep conditioning? 
    Yes, I deep condition regularly but I doesn't make much of a difference. 
    edited January 2018
    @sophia55: I just reread your original post and I see you said you use a clarifying shampoo every week. Which one are you using? Also, what are you using to DT?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

@bomega Thank you for all that advice. I will go check out the links. I was considering maybe doing a deep treatment with protein in it because none of my hair products have protein in it and that could be a problem. I have considered that the glycerin might be causing my frizz, but I use the Asiam curling jelly as my styler which also has glycerin in it. I'm considering switching styling products though, but I'm also not sure which one I should get because I need a stronghold, but nothing that will weigh down my hair or cause buildup. I'm considering the KCCC. I have also tried using the SM curl enhancing smoothie instead of the lowpo leave in but I dont see much of a difference in my results. I do scrunch and plop, even though I find plopping to help my clumping. And without those techniques, my hair would be barely wavy at all so they are kind of necessary. However, I'm open to trying your technique as well. 
    bomega said:
    @sophia55: I just reread your original post and I see you said you use a clarifying shampoo every week. Which one are you using? Also, what are you using to DT?
    I'm currently using coconut oil as DT once a week or so, because I don't need to do it often. But I want to get a store bought DT, possibly with protein because I'm suspecting my Protein/Moisture is balance but I'm not sure which product. I use the SM Low Porosity Cleansing Shampoo and the Cantu ACV Root Rinse, but am looking into getting a deeper cleansing shampoo after reading your post. 
    edited January 2018
    Definitely pick up a clarifying shampoo. the Lo-Porosity Shampoo is not a clarifying shampoo (rather its a low-poo), and I don't think the Root Rinse does what we are trying to with a clarifying shampoo. Kinky Curly Come Clean is a popular one from that list.

I think trying out a protein treatment might be a good idea, but go gently with the protein as coarse low-porosity hair doesn't need a whole lot. Before you get into protein, I would still consider starting with just a clarify/DT, with a good DT. I have never used them, but I'm liking Camile Rose Naturals Algae Treatment and Curl Junkie Curl Rehab (this one is pretty popular). Here are a few articles about protein from the Sciency Hair Blog which might help you:
    - Protein 101 - Lots of Basic Information About Using Protein in Hair Products
    - IA Girl's Gelatin Protein Treatment Recipe Update
    - What's Cookin': Vegetarian Protein Treatment for Hair (for the over 21 ;))

In your styling, a couple more thoughts:
    - the KCCC is pretty popular and worth a try.
    - You said you tried the SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie instead of the Lo-po Leave-in? Try layering them with first the leave-in and then the Smoothie.
    - A couple of popular, inexpensive gels to try are Ecostyler (check the ingredients list when buying to make sure it is the new one without Triethanolamine) and LA Looks Sports Gel (the blue one). A lot of people get good results with these.
    - Take a look at some additional techniques for product application. For example, try applying styling product to completely water saturated hair, then scrunch/plot. Or alternatively, squeeze out excess water then try. There are also some styling techniques in the newbie threads that might help you. I really liked Rockyn Curls youtube videos when I was getting started because she really showed everything. She also offers alternatives for different hair types. (I like her blog too.)

bomega said:

1) You might still benefit from clarifying/DT. Even the healthy emollients and also conditioning ingredients like BTMS/BTC will build up. Its just not as bad as with silicones because they don't block moisture from reaching the hair shaft. They just sit around being a nuisance until they are clarified away. The SM Low Porosity line has BTC in it, and will need to be clarified periodically with a clarifying agent like C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate. There are other clarifiers that will work - please see this article for more info: Shampoos Which Remove: Product Build-Up

2) The Sciency Hair Blog has an article about Moisturizing Low Porosity Hair, and another about Deep Treatment. Even before I read this (or even heard of the Sciency Hair Blog) I used to do something like this, and used to use Aubrey Organic Swimmer Conditioner for a deep treatment. Lately, by accident, I have been using a cation conditioner free conditioner to do my deep treatment, and adding a little oil for a boost. She suggests adding protein to boost if you want, but honestly, I'm not sure it is necessary to completely avoid BTMS/BTC. Overall, my hair has done well with these ingredients, and if you want to start out deep treatment with a ready-made product I think that's probably fine. But this is something to experiment with.

3) The SM Moisture Low Porosity line has glycerin in it, and this might be contributing to your frizz. It might not be though if you aren't using glycerin in your styling products. What are you using for styling products?

4) Finally, what techniques are you using? Many people like scrunching and plopping, but I found these techniques increase my frizz and decrease my clumping. I might be doing it wrong, but I find just drying my hair with a t-shirt and smoothing it down the length of my hair while gently squeezing helps improve clumping/decrease frizz.
    Thank you for all that advice. I will go check out the links. I was considering maybe doing a deep treatment with protein in it because none of my hair products have protein in it and that could be a problem. I have considered that the glycerin might be causing my frizz, but I use the Asiam curling jelly as my styler which also has glycerin in it. I'm considering switching styling products though, but I'm also not sure which one I should get because I need a stronghold, but nothing that will weigh down my hair or cause buildup. I have also tried using the SM curl enhancing smoothie instead of the lowpo leave in but I dont see much of a difference in my results. I do scrunch and plop, even though I find plopping to help my clumping. And without those techniques, my hair would be barely wavy at all so they are kind of necessary. However, I'm open to trying your technique as well. 
    bomega said:

Thank you for all that advice. I will go check out the links. I was considering maybe doing a deep treatment with protein in it because none of my hair products have protein in it and that could be a problem. I have considered that the glycerin might be causing my frizz, but I use the Asiam curling jelly as my styler which also has glycerin in it. I'm considering switching styling products though, but I'm also not sure which one I should get because I need a stronghold, but nothing that will weigh down my hair or cause buildup. I have also tried using the SM curl enhancing smoothie instead of the lowpo leave in but I dont see much of a difference in my results. I do scrunch and plop, even though I find plopping to help my clumping. And without those techniques, my hair would be barely wavy at all so they are kind of necessary. However, I'm open to trying your technique as well. 
    bomega said:

bomega said:

bomega said:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file