tell me what you think of my routine or products please.

sunny4dayssunny4days Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
So i have 2b, high porosity hair, it is fine and about shoulder length.  I have it colored blonde now so that has ruined some of my curl.  It use to curl better before the bleach so I am working on getting it healthier.  The products I use now, I don't love but I use them because that's what I have.  Also I have a problem with frizz.  So here is what I do: 
wash with suave everlasting sunshine conditioner and scrub scalp,  then add the same conditioner in and finger comb with my head upside down because its super knotted at this point.
I rise all of that out and then add a not your mothers linseed chia blend conditioner as my leave in.  Squish it all in and then put my head in a microfiber wrap.  
Leave that on for about 10 minutes and then add my curl booster  pic below with my palms and then scrunch in my LA Looks gel.  Put that up in a t-shirt for a while and then diffuse it. I diffuse until its slightly damp and then let it air dry and then scrunch the crunch.  
Its not super frizzy the first day but gets worse as the days go on.

Second day I spray water/conditioner on it and add some mousse and let it air dry and they scrunch the crunch.

every two weeks I will use a conditioning butter.  pic below 

Any tips to make my routine better or other products to try?  I have a list of things I have read people like but thought I would ask before I bought more. 
2b, fine, high porosity

Best Answer

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @sunny4days : Welcome to nc.com. Thank you for providing all the detail. I have a few thoughts:

1) I would start by clarifying and following with a conditioning DT with the Raw Shea Butter masque. Use one of these clarifying shampoos listed on the Sciency Hair Blog: Shampoos Which Remove: Product Build-Up (the Kinky Curly Come Clean is a popular choice). Periodic clarifying has a way of smoothing out issues.

2) Even if you don't clarify, I think your routine could use some work. I'm not sure if it is helping you to apply leave-in, the plop, then apply gel, plop again. You might not be getting the most out of the process by breaking this up. After you finish detangling, try adding the leave-in to completely water saturated hair, also following with the gel to water saturated hair. You could experiment with applying one, then the other, vs. cocktailing them in your hand to add. Then continue with your routine.

In addition, squishing, plopping are all popular techniques for curl-enhancement, and you might be able to make them work with just the changes above. But these techniques actually seems to increase my frizz. I might be doing something wrong, but I have started applying all my products upright, and then starting with completely wet hair, instead of scrunching/plopping, I just use a t-shirt smoothing down the length of my hair, gently squeezing as I go to get the water out. I do this a few times until its dry enough. This does seem to lengthen my curl pattern a bit, but the tradeoff is I get good clumps minimal frizz, and as a bonus a little bit of root lift.

3) With your high porosity hair, you might benefit from a protein treatment. I see you have the JBCO treatment, which probably is helping. Here are a few articles on the Sciency Hair Blog for you to decide if this is what you need:
    - Protein 101 - Lots of Basic Information About Using Protein in Hair Products
    - Gelatin Protein Treatment Recipe Update
    - Vegetarian-Friendly Protein Treatments for Hair (for the over 21 ;))

I'm not sure what to tell you about your refresh technique - I've never successfully had day 2 hair. Check out these videos by a youtuber to see if you can find something helpful there (FitKat has your hair type): https://curltalk.naturallycurly.com/discussion/182078/sleeping-and-refreshing

Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Answers

• SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 380Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Regarding refreshing: how do you sleep at night? Pineapple, silk pillowcase etc.
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • sunny4dayssunny4days Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I pineapple my hair at night. 
    2b, fine, high porosity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file