Transition phase...Just starting ....Any advice?

kirikoukirikou Posts: 2Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi All,

I have been straightening my hair for 16 years (so I have a lot of heat damaged). and in the past 3 years, I have been doing Brazilian keratin every 2 months. Brazilian keratin had straightened my hair permanently.....
3 weeks ago I decided to stop using straighter and chemical products and only use sulfate and silicone free product.
I can't see myself with short hair so I prefer the transition option. 

I'm just wondering if taking hair supplements will help with hair growth and strength? Have you tried any brand? 
I have attached a few pictures of my hair :) :( .  it's a complete disaster ...... lol.  Any advice for the transition? 

Thank you  :) <3

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @kirikou : Welcome to nc.com. Good for you for embracing your natural hair texture. Here are a few thoughts to answer your questions:

1) I have never taken hair specific vitamins, but last year I took biotin (1mg)  for a non-hair related reason, and did get unexpected new hair growth. I have seen an article on nc.com that it is best to take biotin with Vitamin B5.

2) I once had the best hair I ever had by eating good amount of dark leafy greens and protein (I was eating protein + 1-3 quarts of green smoothie every day.)

3) You could try tea rinses: https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-hair-care-methods/how-to-do-a-tea-rinse-for-longer-stronger-hair. I've also read drinking nettle tea is also good for the hair.

4) Most of all just keep taking care of your hair. Keratin treatments are supposed to be temporary, but given how long you have done them, its hard to say if your hair will return before it grows out/gets trimmed away. Just stick to the Curly Girl Method. Clarify/DT regularly. You could try a natural protein treatment. Here are a couple of DIY options:
    - Gelatin Protein Treatment Recipe Update
    - What's Cookin': Vegetarian Protein Treatment for Hair

5) In fact, if you were interested, it might be worthwhile to order a hair analysis report from Goosefootprints on Etsy. Goosefootprints is the same lady who runs the Sciency Hair Blog and you can see the link to order there on her website. Many people around here have done it, and were pleased with the results. She will probably have the best ideas you could get. I have never done one, but I really want to.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,798Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Welcome, @Kirikou!  Thanks for trusting us to take this journey with you! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file