Who has used DevaCurl products? What do you think??

curlymatticurlymatti Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited January 18 in Hair Type 3
I think it is very expensive but I am kind of wanting to go on a more natural hair journey..... 

Best Answer

Answers

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,352Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I only ever used Devacurl products when I got a Devacut and they used it in the salon. While I would say they stylist did a good job and my hair looked good with it, I also did not like the smell, price, and thought it was too goopy. However, as @jeepcurlygurl said, it has its following and people who used them are very happy with it. But if your goal is to go a natural route, you have other option.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • curry curlscurry curls Posts: 1,083Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love most of the things I have tried so far.  If I had to pick a favorite, it would be the No Poo Decadence. The B'Leave in would be second.  The products are expensive, so I'm trying to figure out what I absolutely must have in the line.  
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

Co-wash: Deva Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: Deva Decadence One Condition
    Leave-in/Styling: Deva Decadence One Condition and Deva Heaven In Hair
    Others: ACV rinses and protein treatments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,154Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I've used quite a few of the products.  The original One Condition  is a must-have for me.  No other conditioner has ever made my hair feel as good as that one does.  I like the low-poo (the original formula), but I don't think the price is worth the product.  I'm still searching for another low-poo.  The Ultra Defining Gel works great in the summer - not so much in the winter.

I do not like the decadence or delight lines.  I don't like the Wavemaker.  The hair spray is awful.  Sometimes I like the B'Leave In, sometimes I don't.

I think it's worth trying if you're interested, but don't expect to love everything. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2C/3A, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 362Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I use Deva sometimes as it is highly accessible. I can't buy my regular products locally so if I forget to place an order and run out... I run over to the beauty supply place and grab some DevaCurl.

I only use the delight line as I find the rest heavy. I have never tried the gels (I am a KCCC addict, that's another brand) but my hair will tolerate the low poo as long as I wash twice. I cannot cannot cowash with Deva. I do like the wavemaker.

__
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 362Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oh and the dry shampoo is terrible!! It's like applying pure perfume to your hair. Blah. 
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • FLsmidgetFLsmidget Posts: 30Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I am like @bomega I only use them when I get a DevaCut at the salon and they use it on me. The Deva No Poo makes my head itch and burn horrible so the salon uses Ouidad Cleansing Conditioner (sorry, I dont remember the exact name). I dont have issues with the other DevaCurl products they use. They are just too expensive for my taste and I dont care for the smell. 
    2c fine, medium density, high porosity, modified curly

Humid FL

Shampoo: SM JBCO, Elucence MB 
    Conditioner: SM JBCO, Elucence MB
    Deep Conditioner: SM Manuka Honey
    Leave-In: SM JBCO, Elucence MB 
    Stylers: Cantu Moisturizing Curl Activator, L'Oreal EverCurl Hold & Sculpt Gel Cream, DevaCurl Light Defining Gel
    Sealer: Cantu AntiFrizz Smoothing Oil

• .coconut..coconut. Posts: 11Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I have tried the gel and even tough it smells very nice, it really dries my hair and I dont think it does much for styling... :/ good luck!
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,269Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    The only Deva product I used was Wavemaker. I didn't like it; it made my hair dry, frizzy, and sticky. I haven't tried any of the other Deva products because they are generally heavy on protein, and my hair is protein sensitive.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • holliebrekholliebrek Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited February 11
    Yikes. The smell is soooo bad it literally made me sick. Couldn’t wait to wash out of my very expensive doo:( sad day 
  • StillunsureonmycurltypeStillunsureonmycurltype Posts: 68Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    If you do plan on buying it, see for sample sizes as it would be a lot cheaper than actually buying the whole line along with the stylers.
  • bright_80bright_80 Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love DevaCurl on my 3a/3b hair. My favorite product is the Light Defining Gel and I use the Curly Girl method of styling. The products are less expensive on Amazon than at a salon. 
  • hpolumhpolum Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I would definitely recommend buying the sample sizes to see how your hair responds to the products. I got a few last week at ulta and actually got a three-pack of samples for free as well. Been trying them out this week and so far I’m not super impressed for the price point. 
  • MeghanCurlMeghanCurl Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I love DevaCurl products (but they are expensive/overpriced). I love the ingredients. My favourite product is Low-Poo and Ultra Light Defining Gel (much better than Defining Gel). Love Melt Into Moisture. SuperCream is meh for me.   
    2B high porosity, med/high density hair

DevaCurl Low-Poo
    DevaCurl One Condition 
    > SQUISH TO CONDISH
    DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel Light 
    > DEEP CONDTION 
    DevaCurl Melt Into Moisture 

• curlykristincurlykristin Posts: 63Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I only like the frizz free volumizing foam. It provides very good hold and humidity without crunch. Which is serious in Alabama.  Everything else has too much glycerin for my hair.   
    :sunny:3B- anywhere from sidewalk chalk to straw sized! High Porosity and fine, low density

Day 1
    Shea moisture high porosity cowash
    shea moisture coconut and hibiscus curl conditioner 
    KCCC
    DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam

Day 2
    spritz with oil wonders volume rose conditioner diluted with water and rescrunch
    one squirt of frizz free foam

Deep Treatment:
    Shea Moisture High Porosity masque
    aphogee keratin and green tea protein spray

Currently in recovery from too much bleach and chronic heat styling. 
  • sarajay13sarajay13 Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    I agree with everyone here that says they are overpriced/too expensive. The only product I will sometimes shell out the money for is Set It Free which really works wonders on day 2/3/4 for refreshing my curls, or sometimes mid-day if its super humid and I'm feeling fancy. But at $22USD per bottle I could find another brand that's probably just as good for half the price. Some of their other products simply did not work for me though. ArcAnGEL made my hair sticky and flat, Heaven In Hair made my hair dry and look like hay, I had a very mild allergic reaction to the Low Poo, and the Frizz Free Volumizing Foam made my hair flat as well. One Condition and No-Poo were fine but I've used better products for way less money. It seems to work for some people-- I'm just not one of them. :#
    3a/b
    High Porosity, Medium/Coarse, Medium/High Density
    coming back from severe damage caused by hair dye allergy
    pretty sure I just ruined my hair accidentally with spray foam in April 18  :'(
    Modified CGM starting Feb 2018
    -------------------------------------------
    Cleanser: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse Out: As I Am Co Wash
    Leave In: Kinky Curly Knot Today and/or Curls Blueberry Bliss Leave In
    Oil: Shea Moisture Argan Oil
    Stylers: Cantu Curl Activator Cream, Miss Jessie's Jelly Soft Curls or Bounce Curl Light Creme Gel
    Refresh: Deva Curl Set It Free
    Treatments: Henna Color Lab Amla hair treatment, Hair Skin and Nails dietary supplement, Henna Color Lab henna hair dye blend

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file