Frizz Reducing Products?

AndMarieMooreAndMarieMoore Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 17 Curl Neophyte
I only put on tea tree oil, coconut and habiscus curl enchanting smoothie and herbal essences totally twisted curl scrunching gel.

Yet my hair still gets like the picture. Any products recommendations that help tame the frizz and keep my curls?

Best Answers

• curlymatticurlymatti Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 5 Curl Neophyte
    Accepted Answer
    From my understanding Tea Tree oil helps dry out your hair. I wonder if a palm-made would work or Dove mouse.... 
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @AndMarieMoore : I want to apologize - I swear I thought I wrote out an answer for this, but it looks like I didn't!

I actually think your hair looks pretty good in those photos. I can see that perhaps you are looking for more clumps and curl definition? My first thought is that maybe you aren't using enough product (smoothie and gel). But, that can be tricky too so here are some ideas:

1) How are you applying the product? Many people find it helpful to apply styling products to completely wet hair, while in the shower. This helps to get coverage, especially for a thick product like the SM Coconut Hibiscus Smoothie. Apply the product to your drenched hair, then scrunch, plop...do the rest of your styling.

2) There are other styling techniques that might help you. There is a thread in the newbie section that describes them all (Ice Queen, Smasters, etc.)

3) Many people benefit from the LOC technique of styling which is to use a leave-in, then oil, then curl cream (or gel). You can use the smoothie for your leave-in and the gel you are using. But I think another oil would be better for styling that the tea tree oil. I think you said you had some scalp trouble, and tea tree oil can help for that, but better use it on your scalp, then for styling use a regular oil. Argan oil, olive oil, are popular, but you will have to experiment with what works for you. (Note: If you want to buy an argan oil, make sure it is a 100%, or at least free of silicones. There are a LOT of products out there that advertise they are argan oil, when really it is more silicones when you look at the ingredients.) If you want to work with this, here are a couple of resources to help out from the Sciency Hair Blog:
    - Oils – Which Ones Soak In vs. Coat the Hair?
    - What's Cookin': Oil Blend Recipe for Hair

So there's a few ideas to try out. It can be frustrating to work with your natural hair texture, but I think if you keep experimenting you will find something you like. Again, your hair looks pretty good, so you are getting there!
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Answers

• AndMarieMooreAndMarieMoore Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 17 Curl Neophyte
    bomega said:
    Hi @AndMarieMoore : I want to apologize - I swear I thought I wrote out an answer for this, but it looks like I didn't!

I actually think your hair looks pretty good in those photos. I can see that perhaps you are looking for more clumps and curl definition? My first thought is that maybe you aren't using enough product (smoothie and gel). But, that can be tricky too so here are some ideas:

1) How are you applying the product? Many people find it helpful to apply styling products to completely wet hair, while in the shower. This helps to get coverage, especially for a thick product like the SM Coconut Hibiscus Smoothie. Apply the product to your drenched hair, then scrunch, plop...do the rest of your styling.

2) There are other styling techniques that might help you. There is a thread in the newbie section that describes them all (Ice Queen, Smasters, etc.)

3) Many people benefit from the LOC technique of styling which is to use a leave-in, then oil, then curl cream (or gel). You can use the smoothie for your leave-in and the gel you are using. But I think another oil would be better for styling that the tea tree oil. I think you said you had some scalp trouble, and tea tree oil can help for that, but better use it on your scalp, then for styling use a regular oil. Argan oil, olive oil, are popular, but you will have to experiment with what works for you. (Note: If you want to buy an argan oil, make sure it is a 100%, or at least free of silicones. There are a LOT of products out there that advertise they are argan oil, when really it is more silicones when you look at the ingredients.) If you want to work with this, here are a couple of resources to help out from the Sciency Hair Blog:
    - Oils – Which Ones Soak In vs. Coat the Hair?
    - What's Cookin': Oil Blend Recipe for Hair

So there's a few ideas to try out. It can be frustrating to work with your natural hair texture, but I think if you keep experimenting you will find something you like. Again, your hair looks pretty good, so you are getting there!
    I usually put the Coconut and Habiscus after I brush my hair, it’s usually only damp right then, so I’ll try it the way you said. 

Thank you so much for all the help you’ve been giving me!!
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Your welcome. It's nice to see you are progressing. Let us know how it goes. :)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Keep us posted! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • mcfdublinmcfdublin Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 9 Curl Neophyte
    Hi!  Where is the Newbie section?
  • Kinky Curly-Coily MeganKinky Curly-Coily Megan Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 67 Curl Connoisseur
     if you want to go the all natural silicone- free route... I use majority of the time is apple cider vinegar rinse, Aloe Vera,  products with aloe Vera, and two oils I used in the past grape seed oil and jojoba oil for me stops frizz. Oh and cold water from the fridge cold. 
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file