Help Replicating Curl Definition from Hair Stylist

JessiCurl94JessiCurl94 Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Novice
I recently got my first haircut from someone who actually knew what to do with my curly hair *gasp*! But I am having trouble replicating her results with my hair. I am not using the exact same products she used (she used all DevaCurl and I do not have enough money for that lol), but I am using all of the same techniques that she suggested. I squish my conditioner in, rinse it out mostly, apply a leave in conditioner and gel to my soaking wet hair and scrunch. I then diffuse or plop my hair. I definitely getting more definition than I used to, but there are sections of my hair that either barely curl or are weirdly small. All around, my curls are smaller and closer to my head than when I had a professional do my hair... does anyone know what might be happening?

For reference, my profile picture is what my hair looked like on day two after I got my hair done professionally. And below are photos from after my hair dried on wash day just today.

Best Answer

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Your hair in the third picture (front on) looks very similar to your avatar photo to me. I'm not sure if there is a problem? I think your hair looks good in the back views you posted, but I can see how it is different than the curl enhanced Devacurl experience. You could try using more quantity of whatever product you are using (leave, gel especially). I remember my hair felt loaded up when I left the salon after my Devacurl cut (I did not like this feeling and am willing to accept a certain amount of imperfection for a cleaner feel to my hair.)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Answers

• JessiCurl94JessiCurl94 Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have definitely thought about how much product the hairstylist used on my hair, and you are probably right in that observation. I'm pretty sure she used a stronger gel than I am using as well, so I imagine that might play a role in it. It is just so strange to me how differently my hair behaves now. Like specifically that my curls are much smaller than they were before- it is definitely weird. But I guess it's all a learning curve
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    Yeah, it is definitely a learning curve. If you were interested, another member here (@Guide 65) took Atoya's Curl Course: Curly Hair Studio Curl Course and recommended it Atoya is a Devacurl Stylist. Guide 65 has a thread about it around here somewhere...ok...here it is: https://curltalk.naturallycurly.com/discussion/181621/atoyas-curly-hair-course-highly-recommended

There is also Scott Musgraves MAP course which people seem to be talking about.

Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file