Coarse, Porous, Desert Climate, Hard Water

2»

Comments

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    The 2-step henndigo that I do does look natural. People are always shocked to find out I'm 90% gray and I color my hair black. However, I have never seen the cassia on someone. I have read that if you color with cassia, clarifying the hard water prior is imperative or could look green. If you decide to pursue this, definitely talk to them over at mehandi.com over the phone, chat or on their website to discuss these risks.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • BeachLoverInNMBeachLoverInNM Registered Users Posts: 23 Curl Novice
    bomega said:
    The 2-step henndigo that I do does look natural. People are always shocked to find out I'm 90% gray and I color my hair black. However, I have never seen the cassia on someone. I have read that if you color with cassia, clarifying the hard water prior is imperative or could look green. If you decide to pursue this, definitely talk to them over at mehandi.com over the phone, chat or on their website to discuss these risks.

Green--yikes! Thanks for the heads up.
    Here is the response I received from SheaMoisture:

"Thank you for contacting SheaMoisture. We update our products periodically. The one with glycerin is the new formula and the website will be updated once all products out in the market reflect the new ingredients. Most of our products contain glycerin unfortunately but we are able to recommend our 100% Pure Oils which you can try: https://www.sheamoisture.com/products/hair/100-pure-oils.html."

Looks like I will not be able to use their products at all. :'(
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Bummer. Thanks for letting us know.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    Just want to post an update...long overdue...for posterity and to help any other women with my hair type/circumstances. I tried co-washing with Suave Coconut and V05 and had stable results for a year, until everything went sideways and I realized the ingredients had changed. Started another very long product/procedure experimentation and have finally reached another point of stasis. I also tried to simplify, simplify, simplify because it was taking so long to do my hair and travel was impossible. So here is what has been working for me: * Shampoo with Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Shampoo. Squish into hair like squish to condish and let sit a few minutes before rinsing out. Rinse well. Hair feels pretty dry and tangly at this point. * Rinse hair with 1 tbsp ACV in a cup of water. Let sit for a minute, then squeeze into hair and rinse. * Apply generous amount of Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor. Work through hair. Let sit for a few minutes. Flip hair upside down. Everything is done upside down from this point. Finger detangle. Squish to condish. Sometimes I add a little water and squish some more. Sometimes not. Gather hair into a ponytail at crown of head and then squeeze the conditioner out, like milking a cow, stripping it out until hair is not dripping wet. NO RINSING. * Apply generous amount of LA Looks Sport Gel (blue), smoothing down underside and topside, no raking. Squish in again (like squish to condish). Then repeat previous stripping of excess gel as above until hair is not dripping. * Plop in a T-shirt while drying off and getting dressed. Remove T-shirt and use to squeeze vertically down hair gently to remove excess water so hair is not dripping on clothes. Do not scrunch. * Let air dry for a while then diffuse upside down until hair is at least half dry. Then flip up and arrange hair the way you want it to look when dry. Continue diffusing by holding the diffuser on TOP of the hair, kind of locking it in place as you dry. I found that this is really helpful in the final look. Before I would dry all upside down and then when I flipped over my hair would look like Medusa and I would have to spend lots of time redoing it with pins, rewetting sections, etc. Now it pretty much looks the way I want it when I am done diffusing. I let it air dry for a little while after this until it feels as dry as I have patience for. Then I flip upside down and shuffle at the roots to loosen curls and maybe praying hands (dry, no oil) to break up crunchiness. NOTE: At no time do I ever scrunch the curls once I am out of shower. I found all that did was make my hair frizzy. I found that smoothing from scalp to ends was much more helpful. Also I had to accept that while my hair is drying it looks like a frizzy mess (mostly due to the texture difference in the gray hair) but when it is dry it looks pretty good. It will never be smooth and frizz free but I am happy with it. Maybe when it all turns gray the texture will be uniform and it will be less frizzy overall. Who knows. I had to completely abandon co-washing because it caused my hair to feel dirty all the time and I was constantly having to clarify. I am much happier with a protein shampoo. I don't use oils anymore, unless I need some kind of deep treatment after a highlight. I have sworn off shea butter in anything forever. I think with my coarse/porous hair it just causes terrible buildup. It seems like the more protein I can add to my hair, the better. And ACV really helps close the cuticle and does not seem to dry my hair out. I do have to touch up straight pieces with a curling wand sometimes (my underlayer is pretty straight) but I use the lowest setting and just do the curls around my face. I only have to wash my hair about twice a week. I don't do any "refresh" to speak of. If I start adding water or anything my hair just frizzes out. After day one I start a series of half up, ponytail, all up styles until I can't stand it anymore and wash. I have drastically reduced drying time with all the "stripping" out I do above. It used to take forever for my hair to dry, even with diffusing, because I never removed as much water as I needed to. None of these products are expensive or hard to find. I have consistent results and the whole process takes much less time than it ever has. After spending enormous amounts of time on this web site, other web sites, and watching hair videos, I finally had to just try all kinds of experimentation (mostly in technique but some in product) to find what worked. I kept a hair journal for a couple of years to track what I was doing. I paid a lot of attention to ingredients so I didn't buy too many products that didn't work. My main rules are lots of protein, no glycerin, no aloe vera, no shea butter. I can't believe how much work it took to get here but--God willing--I have made peace with my hair. I hope all of this helps someone else. Oh, and I also started cutting my own hair after YEARS of frustration with stylists who wouldn't listen. Thank you, YouTube. I am much happier with my hair and am saving a ton of money. Of course, my hair is shoulder length. If I ever want it shorter, I will probably have to see a professional. But for now I am OK.
    I thought I had the post above properly paragraphed and spaced, but everything disappeared into one long paragraph. I can't figure out how to edit...?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file