HELP! Losing my 2c curls, scalp issues since I tried switched to no/low poo/natural products!

liloloveculilolovecu Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
First post here, long time reader on Naturally Curly.

Background...2 years ago I decided to switch to no/low poo to get unnecessary chemicals out of my life. I had transitioned with food, make up and most beauty regiments. My beautiful curly hair was the last to transition! My hair has always been bouncy, lots of volume, curls all the way to the scalp, no scalp issues, minimal frizz, took to whatever style, didn't matter what products I used, low maintenance, never oily (didn't was more than twice a week, if that). I had it all!

I'm regretting my decision to switch because now it seems whatever I do for 2 years now....my hair just won't LOOK OR FEEL the same. Initial switch, Deva curl no/low poo made my scalp freak out - it was so red and itchy, it bled. Learned others had similar experiences. Couple other tries and ended up with Shea Moisture. Finally started to work okay. Didn't last. My hair started going to "chunky" curls and heavy. Eventually figured out you could OVER moisturize hair. Stopped doing that but not the same. Tried custom shampoos like Function of Beauty, my best friend loves her when I told her about it. Smell is amazing! My boyfriend loves it. However, my hair was still struggling. Limp, not as curly, chunky curls...basically lose waves now. Curly but flat for one day, then waves the next. I have to wash my hair more often or the scalp gets BAD. I finally caved and went back to cheap sulfate Garner shampoo and conditioner. Thinking, it never used to be an issue, might as well go back to it. And still, not my hair. I'm really disappointed on my hair journey and would love to hear anyone's advice at this point. I'm not sure what to do anymore and don't want to give up on my once beautiful curls. It took me so long to learn to love my curls and for the past decade I have done nothing but adored them. I want my MY curls back! 

2c/3a
low porosity 
medium density
med-coarse hair 
long hair 

Answers

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    Hi @lilolovecu : Welcome to nc.com. I'm sorry you are having to go through this. That's awful what happened when you used Devacurl! :( It is kind of confusing what is going on. My first thought is that you may have had some damage and the Garnier you were using for years helped out with this situation because it has Amodimethicone. As 'cones go, this is one of the least offensive because it is one of the few that doesn't build up on itself, and can sort of selectively adhere to damage, so it can help out. But if you had damage, I think the Form of Beauty would have helped out more, as it looked like all of their formulations had protein in them (which also helps out with damage). Which Shea Moisture did you use that sort of worked out for a while?

One thing you might want to try is to clarify followed by a moisturizing deep treatment. To clarify, you can use any sulfate shampoo that doesn't have silicones in it. But consider getting one of these listed in this article: Shampoos Which Remove: Product Build-Up. For a moisturizing deep treatment, consider trying Camile Rose Naturals Algae Treatment, or Curl Junkie Curl Rehab. They are both popular - the CRN Algae one might be available at your Target.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Clh8814Clh8814 Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Honestly, my first thought is that you may want to consult a dermatologist. They will help you find out if anything is missing from your diet and regimen that is causing scalp and hair issues. They may also run allergy testing that will determine if it is an allergy or sensitivity issue. Even all-natural ingredients aren't necessarily gentle or hypoallergenic.

In addition, I have had great success for my 2c curls with Palmer's coconut oil shampoo. It gets even my super oily scalp very clean, but doesn't overdry. Afterward, I like suave essentials tropical coconut conditioner. I don't just keep it to my ends; I work it all the way up and massage my scalp. 
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 380Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you done a protein treatment at all? It can correct over moistured hair and really make you bouncy!
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file