Waves elongate and straighten out as hair dries...

amthbt1310amthbt1310 Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited January 2018 in Hair Type 2
Hello,
I am still new here and a complete beginner when it comes to taking care of my waves... (always treated them like straight hair).
I have a little question for you all who have wavy hair, low porosity, medium thickness and density.

What can I do if my hair is very wavy (2c wave nearly) when wet but straightens out to barely a 2b wave when dry ?

--> dries like that, with or without styling products (gel or curl cream), doesn't make a difference... what am I doing wrong?

My hair was much wavier a few years ago...here a picture from 2010:

I hope some of you can give me some helpful tips and tricks, thank you !

Best Answer

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018 Accepted Answer
    Your hair looks healthy in that picture. :) You mentioned upthread that you use the Maui Moisture Style Milk but that the Eco Styler gel didnt't work for you for feeling brittle. I would give it a shot again with the Style Milk followed by the Ecostyler gel, but this time after your hair is dry (100%) try "scrunching out the crunch" which is just working your hands through your hair until that brittle feeling is gone. Some people also do this with a tiny amount (a drop or two) of oil.

But another thing to try is a protein treatment, since the clarify+dt alone didn't give you the results. Take a look at that Protein 101 article I linked above and see if you can make that work. I think both of the other protein treatment article also have a lot of good info.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Answers

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi and welcome.  In order to make suggestion it would help to know what products and routine you are currently using.  Also can you tell us more about your hair is is fine, medium or course, is it high, medium or low porosity.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • amthbt1310amthbt1310 Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited January 2018
    @WavyKfromNJ

I have 2b wavy hair, low porosity, medium thickness and density.
    At the moment I use Maui Moisture Curl Quench Shampoo and Conditioner and also their curl milk.
    It tried gel (ecostyler argan oil) but that didn't work for me, my hair felt very dry and brittle in the lengths.

I wash my hair twice a week, use a conditioner afterwards to detangle my hair in the shower, then I put in a little bit of curl milk (not too much so that the product doesn't weigh down the waves even more) when the hair is still soaking wet. Then I scrunch the excess water out with a microfibre towel and then I put my hair in a microfiber towel /cotton tshirt for like 30minutes, and after that I let it air dry.

Oh and, I'm living in Luxembourg (Europe) and it's not possible for me to purchase brands like Devacurl or Shea Moisture (apart from Amazon, where they are horrendously expensive and most companies do not deliver to Luxembourg)

Thank you in advance!:)
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @amthbt1310 : Welcome to nc.com. :)

That Maui Moisture is probably a good choice for your hair type.

When my hair starts acting weirdly straight like that I try clarifying with a sulfate shampoo (with no silicones) and follow this with a deep treatment. You can use a deep conditioning product if you can find one with no silicones (and maybe avoid protein given your low porosity hair). But you can also just use your regular conditioner, leave it on for 20-30 minutes, ideally under heat, then rinse. For heat, you can just put on a shower cap, then put a wash cloth warmed with hot water (then wrung out) over that. Or if you have a special heat cap, that is great too.

Now if that doesn't work, you can try a protein treatment. I know I said to avoid it above...that is to focus on deep conditioning, and if that doesn't work, it possible your hair needs a protein treatment. It's tricky, because you don't want protein overload because that is harder to get over (you just have to wait it out.) Here are a couple of DIY protein treatments you can try:

1) IAGirl's Gelatin Protein Treatment (IAGirl is the owner of the Sciency Hair Blog and also used to an active member here on nc.com): Gelatin Protein Treatment Recipe Update
    2) Vegetarian Option (if you can legally buy alcohol ;)): Vegetarian-Friendly Protein Treatments for Hair

The Sciency Hair Blog has a ton of info about protein, but here is an article to get you started if you are interested: Protein 101 - Lots of Basic Information About Using Protein in Hair Products

And here is an article about Deep Conditioning if you were interested: Deep Conditioning, Part I
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Since your hair is low porosity, I would suggest doing a deep conditioning treatment, as @bomega outlined above. I find that my hair can lose its wave when it is dehydrated, and sometimes low-porosity hair needs more time to let the conditioner soak in. I generally do a deep treatment once a week when the weather is really dry. If I do it more than that, my hair gets overmoisturized and limp.

I would also consider whether your hair is protein sensitive, since your hair reacted by becoming brittle when you used the Ecostyler gel (Ecostyler has a lot of protein). Protein can be a wonderful help to strengthening curls, but some people's hair can't handle much protein. I have fine hair and can use one protein-containing product every other week; more frequently than that, and my hair becomes straighter. 
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Thank you for your comments and tips !  :) I will try deep conditioning it once a week and see how my hair reacts :) I will keep you updated how that goes :)
  • WildberryWildberry Posts: 90Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    You have beautiful hair!
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 380Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Also, be careful if you choose to use sulfates, they can be very drying. 
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!

The picture on the right is how they looked after deep conditioning last week (not 100per cent dry yet in the picture) but the hair still doesn't hold the wave like that once they are dry. 

@Wildberry thank you for your sweet comment!

@Savagegirl I don't use any sulfates :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file