2B-ish Product Recommendations?

Kpereira102Kpereira102 Posts: 8Registered Users Curl Neophyte
edited January 2018 in Hair Type 2
Hey there fellow wavies! So I've got a good routine going that's keeping my hair feel supple and healthy! But I wanted to see other products that are CG friendly that aids with moisture (but not too much since I get oily scalp after day one). I'm looking for shampoos and conditioners mainly so let me know which ones you guys like most! I looked at some pages here but I found that there weren't enough product recommendations for 2B hair types.

Thanks guys <3

Products I use:
Shampoos: Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo (1x-2x month) ; Devacurl Weightless waves shampoo cleanser
Conditioners: OGX Keratin Conditioner
Deep Conditioner: Jessicurl Deep Conditioning treatment
Leave in: Devacurl Weightless Waves conditioner (squish to condish)
Gel/Curl Enhancer: Shea Moisture Curl smoothie (very little bit) ; Ouidad Advanced Climate Control gel

PS: was thinking about investing in Ouidad curl quencher shampoo but idk if worth it?

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Although the Curly Girl Method focuses on curl type, in actuality, this is really only useful as a general descriptor for what your hair looks like. Generally product recommendations work better in relation to other hair properties (hair width, porosity, density). There is a guide in the newbie threads that can help you figure this out. In addition, it *can* be helpful to know what kind of weather/environmental conditions you are experiencing.

Let us know, and then we can help. :)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Kpereira102Kpereira102 Posts: 8Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @bomega thank you for the clarification! I’ve been doing my best to understand better, so I appreciate the guidance! And I have low porosity, fine hair; and I live in New England weather so the climate varies depending what season we’re in. I saw a few readings but I’m trying to cut down on prices so I was planning on trying a diff shampoo than the Devacurl one I use now! 

Thanks!
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I can understand about wanting to save a little money from the Deva shampoo. So, here's the  first thing that stands out about your routine - the OGX Keratin Conditioner has silicones in it. You are probably doing ok because you use the Elucence Clarifying shampoo often enough to keep the silicones from building up. So because your routine is working, I'm only mentioning this for you to be sure to keep up your clarifying schedule.

I also have fine, low porosity hair, but I'm not sure if my products are a good idea for you, because it seems like you use a lot of small proteins in your products, and my hair freaks out if I even look at a protein. But, if you were interested, you can see what products I like in my signature line. Alaffia seems to be somewhat unknown, but if you were interested in trying it, also take a look at the Alaffia Reishi Shampoo. I haven't tried it because I already henna my hair every 2-3 weeks, and was worried about over-hennaing effect. But, I have been really happy with almost everything I have tried from the Reishi line (I started with the hand/body lotion).

If you want to try the Ouidad, it's not a bad idea, as in some ways it is similar to the Deva weightless shampoo since it has protein. A couple others you might want to look into are the Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Shampoo, and a shampoo from Raw Curls. Both of these have silk protein in them, which is also a small protein, so your hair might respond well to these. (In the before times, my hair used to love silk protein). Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus is also similar, but a lot of people are reporting that SM is weighing their hair down. I think there has been a change in formulation, and so their products aren't working like before.

But hopefully others will chime in with their preferences soon.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Sirenfox82Sirenfox82 Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I absolutely LOVE (or at least my hair does) the As I Am Coconut Cowash. I wasn't wild about it at first for some reason, but when I came back to it my hair fell in love. Acure makes really good natural shampoo/conditioners too. Graydon Green Hair Smoothie is an amazing conditioner, though I haven't tried their shampoo. This one is a quite a bit pricier than the other two I mentioned, so I just use it once in a while or as a leave in.

I'm new on the CG journey, but I've been doing sulfate/silicone free for a while. I'm still on a mission to find the right styling products for me.

I have fine, high porosity, type 2 hair. I just claim all of type 2 because it's like half 2b, half 2c, with some 2a mixed in here and there to make things annoying.
  • Dawnmilada1996Dawnmilada1996 Posts: 7Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would recomment the shea moisture weightless coconutwater & fruit line. It is really hydrating without weighing the hair down and the conditioners has amazing slip! I wouldnt reccomment the mousse but thats my opinion. 
  • Kpereira102Kpereira102 Posts: 8Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hey everyone! Thanks for the guidance, I'll be sure to try them all out to see which is best for me. Here's to affordable hair care WOO!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file