What do curlies here use for a filler with the MAP technique?

MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Especially interested in hearing from the low porosity gals.

Comments

• BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi Myrna (wave) ~ I'm curious about this, too. I've read about the MAP method, but definitely wasn't clear on the whole "filler" thing. For me (porous hair), the idea of a filler makes perfect sense, but like what? Gel? Mucilage based products? Someone out there must understand this!
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    BeinDeb said: 
    Hi Myrna (wave) ~ I'm curious about this, too. I've read about the MAP method, but definitely wasn't clear on the whole "filler" thing. For me (porous hair), the idea of a filler makes perfect sense, but like what? Gel? Mucilage based products? Someone out there must understand this!
    I found Scott's original blog post (in the way back machine) on styling low porosity hair, and he recommends a light handed application for filler. Says filler should be creamy, slippery, or liquid. For example, Deva B'Leave In, JCRR, or FSG.

His post on high porosity hair is less easy to understand. He suggests heavy handed application of water based products on wash day, then reactivating on day 2 onward to refresh. His big suggestion seems to be experimentation in terms of how much water and conditioner to leave in, and whether to apply product to all or only 1/2 of hair (ears down, for instance). The high porosity post seems to go hand in hand with his winter/summer post (high or low dews /humid or dry air) which details how to change up products and application for the seasons.

I personally don't adhere strictly to the MAP, may rake or scrunch or squeeze in product depending on the day and the weather. Usually my "filler" is whatever leave in I'm using that day (I haven't experimented with curl creams or mousses). TPU or Cure Care have worked well for me, and lately I've  been experimenting with Renpure's Luxurious Argan Oil conditioner and their Biotin and Collagen conditioner (a-cone in both) for some additional slip and protection in the super cold temps.  Occasionally I'll use a tiny bit of an oil blend (I like V05's Shine Glo and Go) under my gel (sealer).
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks Geek Chick. It's a little clearer now, although not really anything "new." It's basically the original CG with muddy wording for high porosity 
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Geek, is JCRR Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets?   I have been using Sweet curls Flaxseed gel - daily - and I sure do hope she gets back up and running!  otherwise I will have to look for a replacement...I love how she customized according to hair type and scent..lovely scents.  But yeah, that is pretty much what I have been doing.
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    @Myrna Yup, JCRR = Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file