Help! What can I use to make my scalp happy?

JessiCurl94JessiCurl94 Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Novice
I have been an avid user of head and shoulders for many years now, but I now know that many ingredients in it are not great for my curly hair. Has anyone found a good alternative to head and shoulders specifically? I was using Nioxin for a while because my hair is also thinning a bit from stress, but it dries out my hair wayyy too much plus it makes my dry scalp/dandruff worse. Then I started using Shea Moisture Curl and Shine shampoo (I already use their conditioner), but it just doesn't give my scalp the moisture or whatever that it needs. 

Has anyone found a reliably good alternative to Head and Shoulders? Because it seems like my scalp is just not happy with anything else. Thanks!

Best Answers

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018 Accepted Answer
    Hi @JessiCurl94 : I don't have this problem. But have you seen this article on the Sciency Hair Blog? : Products for Itchy, Flaky or Bumpy Scalps

She has another articles, but not sure if the lists are actually different: Medicated Shampoos, Conditioners, Co-washes and Treatments For Itchy Scalp, Dry Scalp, Seborrheic Dermatitis (List)

In these lists she identifies products that contain silicones as well as sulfate-free options. If you want Shea Moisture, she has SM African Black Soap products listed (rather than the Coconut Hibiscus line).

(BTW: Your hair looks great in your avatar. :))
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • katmlkatml Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
    Accepted Answer
    I have seborrheic dermatitis - I've found I have no choice but to use Nizoral/Ketonozale shampoo whenever it flares up. I coat the mid to end of my hair with an oil as a prepoo to help minimize the stripping the shampoo does and let it sit on my scalp for a bit to calm it. If I wash within 2-3 days I do just a co wash (I personally use vo5 as my co wash) and then style as normal until the 1 week mark when I do another Nizoral wash. Hope that helps :)

Answers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file