Fine Curly Hair Routine: Sopping Wet Hair or Damp Hair?

curly_kccurly_kc Posts: 59Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I used to apply my product to damp hair, that was air dried for about 20 minutes. I didn't need to use as much product, only a quarter size amount. I though applying product to sopping wet hair was a marketing gimmick to sell more product. 

Now, I use the CG method that is popular on YouTube videos. I apply my leave-in to sopping wet hair. Then, I apply my strong hold gel. I use a tee shirt to form the curls and sop up the water. I finally got the technique. I couldn't understand for years.

I hated having sopping wet hair out of the shower. I hated having to wait for my hair to dry and then scrunch out the crunch of a hard hold gel. With using the tee shirt, my hair is not sopping wet, and the product has already been applied. It literally takes me about 20 minutes from shower to finish with a blow dryer diffuser on medium heat/low air until it's about 50% dry. 

Anyone else have similar experiences with their routine? 
Conditioner Wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle

Leave-In Conditioner: Alberto V05 Strawberry Moisture Milks

Gel Styling Product: LA Looks Sports Gel (Blue)

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,174Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I definitely find that t-shirt drying when my hair is sopping wet helps a lot more than if I wring my hair out in the shower and then start drying. And times that I use styling products it is definitely easier to get better coverage when I apply those in to sopping wet hair. I air dry, but yes dry time isn't affected.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut Reishi Nourishing Conditioner, Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Leave-in: Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Giovanni LA Natural Gel
    Treatment: daily tea spray, coconut oil overnight treatment, citric acid rinse for hard water, 2-step henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 335Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Like @bomega I also noticed that I got better coverage when I apply products to wet hair.  I think product application has been one of downfalls in the past - way back to when I first started using products.  My head was like Goldilocks at the 3 bears house.  This section has too much, this other section was not enough, but this section is just right.  
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, Sunflower Oil Pre-poo
    Styling: Living Proof Curl Defining Styling Cream and/or Living Proof Curl Enhancing Styling Mousse
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,111Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I put products in sopping wet hair and plop in a turban towel instead of a shirt, but it's a similar routine. It has worked well so far for 13+ years. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : / -- https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 321Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    edited January 24
    I put in products sopping wet and plop 5 to 10m (potato sack towel) before hood drying. The biggest contributor to good hair though has been the smasters technique, which is scrunching out the crunch with a bit of product at about 50% dry. It gives great definition and helps dry faster. 
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file