3A low porosity hair- question

shushshush Posts: 12Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hello,
I have 3A low porosity, volume hair, medium lenth, very freezy! I am looking for a design product that will define my curls, balance the volume and lock the freez.
I tried LOC mathod and it didnt work for me😫
I am looking for someone with a similar type of hair to consult!
I was thinking of the Devacurl arc gel or the Devacurl ultra diffining gel. what is better for me
Tnanks
shush

Answers

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @shush : Welcome to nc.com. You said that your hair is low porosity but what is the hair width (fine, medium, coarse). There is a guide in the newbie threads that can help you. Also, what products are you using right now? Have you double checked them to see if any have sulfates and silicones? Here is a guide to identifying non-water-soluable silicones (water-soluable/water-rinsable silicones are ok): Silicone Ingredient Solubility List

Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • shushshush Posts: 12Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited January 2018
    Thank you bomega!
    I have a medium hair width. I wash my hair twice-third a week (in winter) and use curls brush.  I tried different kinds of cream, cream-gel, glaze, mousse and I think I need a strong hold but not so cruncy.
    Now I am using a strong hold gel "form and finish" number 5 of wella professionals (not especially for curls)  on wet hair. I am preety sure it includes sulfates and silicones. I am trying to use the CG method but I steel use sometimes  products with silicone, for example a Loreal mask.

I want an opinion on devacurl because I don't know if I should order it from abroad with high cost..

thanks 
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome @shush!  I have 3b hair with some 3a. My hair did not like Deva products at all and I hated the smell, but many people really love that line so you might want to give it a try. Maybe you could start out by doing some experimenting with some other lines that are easier and cheaper for you to get where you live and go from there. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
      Thank you jeepcurlygurl! I tried almost all companys and products where I live. I hope I get more comments and then I will decide!
    shush said:
    Thank you bomega!
    I have a medium hair width. I wash my hair twice-third a week (in winter) and use curls brush.  I tried different kinds of cream, cream-gel, glaze, mousse and I think I need a strong hold but not so cruncy.
    Now I am using a strong hold gel "form and finish" number 5 of wella professionals (not especially for curls)  on wet hair. I am preety sure it includes sulfates and silicones. I am trying to use the CG method but I steel use sometimes  products with silicone, for example a Loreal mask.

I want an opinion on devacurl because I don't know if I should order it from abroad with high cost..

thanks 
    Hi @shush : Before you start ordering new products lets take a look at the current situation. Looking at your original question, if you are having trouble with frizz and curl definition. And, you are currently using a L'Oreal mask with silicones. Are you using a sulfate shampoo? Silicones in and of themselves aren't bad. The problem is that they block moisture from reaching your hair, and then the sulfates and clarifiers to remove them are drying. This can become a viscious cycle. Then if your sulfate shampoo has silicones in them, it will deposit a layer of silicones, them another layer of silicones on top of that from conditioner/mask/stylers, and you never get your hair clean of silicones. In either case, this causes dryness, which causes frizz, which makes you want to use more silicone products...

You can see this how this can get a curly head into a vortex of hair unhappiness. It doesn't always happen this way, but with your frizz and poor curl definition, I think it is happening to you. And it will continue no matter what you order until you get off the merry-go-round rollercoast of silicones-sulfates.

1) Start by taking a serious look at what you are currently using. You already know your mask has silicone. What about your shampoo, conditioner, other stylers? If you want us to check your products, it will be helpful if you can post the name of the product and the list of the ingredients, and we can do it.

I was able to find a product that might be the gel you are using but the name is a little different. If your gel is the one below, this is actually cone-free. It has a paraben in it, which is not good for the health...but is actually ok for the curls. If you want to give it up for your health, you would be ok to use it until you run out.

Wellaflex Form & Finish Gel Ultra Strong Hold
    Aqua, Sorbitol, Propylene Glycol, Aminomethyl Propanol, Carbomer, VA/Crotonates Copolymer, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Parfum, Methylparaben, Mica, CI 77891, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Limonene, Calcium Stearate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Geraniol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Citronellol, Benzyl Benzoate, Tin Oxide

2) To start taking care of your hair using the CG-Method, you need to start with a clarifying shampoo and deep conditioner. It is good to clarify at least once a month anyway, even if you aren't using silicones, because even CG-friendly ingredients can built up. (They just don't block moisture from reaching your hair so aren't damaging in the long run.)

- If you find that the sulfate you are using a silicone-free, you can use that as a clarifier. If not look around for another silicone that is. VO5 Normal Shampoo, Suave Clarifying Shampoo, and Prell Shampoo are all examples that are very inexpensive in the US and manufactured by a multinational corporation, so you might be able to find it where you live.

- A deep treatment will be challenging to find, but you can use a regular conditioner that is cone-free and leave it on longer (20-30 minutes) ideally under heat (cover with a shower cap, then put a warm washcloth on top of that). VO5 Conditioners (I think all of them, but double check the ingredients if you find one) and Suave Tropical Coconut are a couple of options that are cone-free that you might be able to find.

3) Then for your regular washing, you have a couple of options:

- You can try co-washing which is washing with a conditioner (cone free!). The VO5 and Suave above are very popular for this. There are also specific co-wash products available.

- You can use a sulfate-free shampoo and rinse-out conditioner to wash. This is common for people who find cowashing weighs their hair down.

With your low porosity, medium hair width hair, its hard to say if cowashing or low-poo+conditioner is better for your hair. You may need to experiment.

4) Then for styling you can use just a gel (such as the Wella I listed above) but when dealing with dryness and frizz, sometimes using a leave-in conditioner under the gel helps. You can just leave in some of your regular conditioner, rinse out all the conditioner, then put a little back in, or use a specific product for leave-in conditioning.

So that is the basics of the CG-Method. Now, Devacurl has some popular products that may help you, but before you start ordering, it is best to start by assessing what you have, what you need, and what you want.

Let us know, then maybe we can come up with some ideas for you.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

edited January 2018
    Hi bomega, thank you so much! I will check all the products and maybe will try others! You was right about the gel you found, this is what I am using, and I am happy it is good (unless the paraben). I hope I will find a new CG gel.
    I will post what the changes I am doing soon.
    your explainations are very good!
    thank you! 
    Sush
    You are welcome @shush. BTW, while you are looking around, you might want to look at products produced in your country. You might have to look around a bit, but you might find something and it would certainly be much cheaper/easier to get. Use the article I linked in the first post I made above from the Sciency Hair Blog to see if a product is silicone-free. (Note: The most common silicones are dimethicone, dimethiconol, amodimethicone. But as you see from the list, there are exceptions with these words in them.)

edited January 2018
    great, I will use the list. thank you again! 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file