Let's share a Tip/Hack/Idea of the day! It can be about hair,food,pets,health,life,anything.

jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,114Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
My tip for today - Take a deep deep breath, inhale in in in (count of 4), hold hold hold (count of 4), and push it out out out (count of 4). Repeat.

--I'm located in Western PA.
--I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
--My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
--My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
--My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
--My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : / -- https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,114Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Peel and slice bananas, put in a ziploc bag and throw in the freezer. When making protein shakes, green shakes, smoothies, use frozen bananas to make them creamy and thick with added flavor and nutrition.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : / -- https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • ellajellaj Posts: 647Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Buy a bag of frozen pineapple chunks and add them to boiling water, along with lemon slices. Great beverage for a cold day. I often start the morning with this drink and then I will have my coffee.
       "Hey, curls are people, too"

Type: 2c/3a
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 9,329Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Ooooooo!  Love this thread!  Think, think, think.....

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,114Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Spend the money on "better" sheets and pillow cases. It really makes a difference (to me anyway). I also like different sheets for different seasons. Sateen for summer, jersey for spring and fall, micro-fleece for winter.
    Following with Jeepcurlygurl's suggestion, always buy good quality shoes and boots. Your feet carry your body everywhere it goes. Treat them with the respect they deserve. 

Do you have hard water? A fun test...

1. Get a clean, empty bottle (can be glass or plastic)
    2. Fill halfway up with water, cover opening, and shake. dump water out.
    3. Fill the bottle up halfway again, but this time add a few drops of liquid soap (whichever kind you have) Shake.
    4. If you see a lot of bubbles, you do Not have hard water. The less suds/the more you shake, the harder your water. No suds at all? Your water is extremely hard.

Always keep extra toilet paper in the house. : ) 
    Stop it!! I am laughing so hard at this one. 

@ellaj ; Hey, I'm always shocked at how many people say they run out of toilet paper all the time. Why?  I always have at least 8-10 spare rolls in the linen closet. Just something I don't want to run out of! : ) 
    I hear you @jeepcurlygurl, my husband comes home from the big box stores with bundles of toilet paper, tissue paper and paper towels. I have enough back-up for the entire street.

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,893Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm on a very tight budget, but I like nice things.  I have a large wine rack that holds 24 bottles.  I have friends & clients who will bring me wine from all over the world.  Nice wines.  When the wine bottle is empty instead of throwing it away I refill it with a cheap wine.  You know the large bottles for $6.99.  No one can taste the difference.  Even my wine snob friends.  My roommate was given a very large bottle of Belvedere vodka.  After it was empty he gave it to me & I refilled it with some cheap vodka. I have a friend who only drinks vodka & he didn't notice the difference.  Now don't tell anyone.  ;)

From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,829Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think jeepy and Mr ellaj must be related to my mother. There's only two of them in the house and I can guarantee that at any given time there'll be half a wardrobe full of toilet roll!
    Actually, the way I've been the last few days it's probably not a bad habit to get into......
    3b in South Australia.
    I recently found out that white wine vinegar tastes just like Braggs ACV.  Braggs is cheaper.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    Since we no longer have automatic subscriptions here at NC, my tip of the day is to always click on the star icon so the thread is added to your bookmarks. I have the hardest time finding things when I forget to do that. 
    Starmie said:
    I think jeepy and Mr ellaj must be related to my mother. There's only two of them in the house and I can guarantee that at any given time there'll be half a wardrobe full of toilet roll!
    Actually, the way I've been the last few days it's probably not a bad habit to get into......
    You mean there are more bulk-a-holics? Lol!

I'm on a very tight budget, but I like nice things.  I have a large wine rack that holds 24 bottles.  I have friends & clients who will bring me wine from all over the world.  Nice wines.  When the wine bottle is empty instead of throwing it away I refill it with a cheap wine.  You know the large bottles for $6.99.  No one can taste the difference.  Even my wine snob friends.  My roommate was given a very large bottle of Belvedere vodka.  After it was empty he gave it to me & I refilled it with some cheap vodka. I have a friend who only drinks vodka & he didn't notice the difference.  Now don't tell anyone.  ;)

You know what Lotsawaves? I bought a large can of very expensive coffee, everyone raved and raved, best cup of coffee ever. When it was empty I kept the can. I went and bought a much less expensive brand, still a brand name, and emptied into the very expensive coffee can. Still it was the best cup of coffee ever. ;)

ellaj said:
    Starmie said:
    You mean there are more bulk-a-holics? Lol!

Haha. I live in a tiny condo with tiny closets so I am fussy about what I stock up on. Toilet paper, paper towels, kleenex, cat litter, cat food, canned goods. Always have spares of those. Oh, and hair products. I never ever run out of conditioner or gel. : ) 
  • PoochiePoochie Posts: 298Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Get a bidet spray attachment!  I experienced these when traveling abroad and when I came home I got my own.  About $35, easy to install and cuts down your dependence on toilet paper!
    Ellaj, you get me.  
    From Michael Berg:

• PoochiePoochie Posts: 298Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You guys remind me of that episode of "Northern Exposure" when Shelley accidentally breaks a bottle of rare and expensive wine that Maurice is planning to open at a fancy dinner party.  She and Eve take a bottle of cheap wine and doctor it up with stuff like pinches of potting soil, drops of vanilla, whatnot, until it matches the snooty description of what that vintage tastes like.  They then refill the original bottle and glue the bottom back on.  At the party, the wine is opened and everyone raves over it.  Hilarious.
    LOL!  I love this.  Never saw it.
    From Michael Berg:

• BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 522Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Re: Wine switch...
    This made me laugh. It brought back memories of my Mom's garage sales. She always had 3 tables for clothing like tops, pants, shorts, etc (She was a shopoholic). They were priced @ $1, $.50, & $.25. The $1 table would always sell out first, so we'd move some of the cheaper priced items to the $1 table. We we're constantly doing that as that was the busiest table!!!

My tip, which has come in very handy this Winter, is to keep a box of milk (you can find it in the cooking aisle or @ Dollar Tree) in the pantry. I keep one in there @ all times. Definitely tastes better than powdered, if you chill it first.
    Speaking of milk, I don't drink it but sometimes I want real milk for a recipe instead of almond milk and my sister told me to just buy a pint of milk and keep it in the freezer. Never even knew you could freeze milk. Works like a charm.
    I love the freezing of the milk.  I didn't know you could.  I don't drink it but sometimes I will have friends over for coffee & they like cream.  I wonder if you can freeze that, as well.  

Now I know you ladies will probably laugh at this one, but I have very light areolas.  They are almost my skin tone.  I will use Neutrogena Build A Tan on them.  It looks very natural.
    From Michael Berg:

@Lotsawaves ; I have frozen whole milk, skim mik, and heavy cream. I just thaw them out in the fridge and shake them up real well.
    Self tanning your nipples is just making me giggle. : ) 
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,184Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'd heard about the frozen milk hack which confused me at first since I'm a big milk drinker. But once i was traveling for a couple days and was behind on a half-gallon of milk so I froze, then made yogurt out of it when I finally had a chance.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut Reishi Nourishing Conditioner, Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Leave-in: Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Giovanni LA Natural Gel
    Treatment: daily tea spray, coconut oil overnight treatment, citric acid rinse for hard water, 2-step henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,184Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Since we no longer have automatic subscriptions here at NC, my tip of the day is to always click on the star icon so the thread is added to your bookmarks. I have the hardest time finding things when I forget to do that. 
    Ok, just got caught up on this thread, and this is a good one. Thanks for the tip!
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut Reishi Nourishing Conditioner, Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Leave-in: Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Giovanni LA Natural Gel
    Treatment: daily tea spray, coconut oil overnight treatment, citric acid rinse for hard water, 2-step henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    @Lotsawaves ; I have frozen whole milk, skim mik, and heavy cream. I just thaw them out in the fridge and shake them up real well.
    Self tanning your nipples is just making me giggle. : ) 
    I'm glad I made you giggle.  I'm self tanning tonite.
    From Michael Berg:

• BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 522Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My tip for today is to use a designated broom to clean your shower/bathtub. I spray on the cleaner & scrub away. I don't bend near as well as I used to, and this sure saves on the old back.
    BeinDeb, thank you so much for this idea.  I, too, have a back issue & it really bothers me when I lean forward.  The tub is such an issue for me.  I have 2 brooms & I am going to try this,.

I have so many conditioners in my bath that I don't use.  They do nothing for my hair.  I use them to shave my legs.  Leaves them silky, soft.
    From Michael Berg:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file