what do you do for a cold?

rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
i feel like i might be coming down with the bug that's going around - other than saline rinses, i don't do much when i feel a cold coming on.

what are your best tips for dealing with the common cold?

My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!

Comments

• ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Oh no @rouquinne, I hope it isn't what went through our family like wildfire. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

My husband and I went though an entire bottle of Vicks NyQuil Complete, it was the only thing that helped us have a somewhat decent night's sleep. The coughing would start the minute we put our head on the pillow.

Resting was easy simply because I had not one bit of energy to do much else. I added frozen pineapple chunks and lemon slices to boiling water for a hot drink. 

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    that sounds like a delicious cure for the common cold! so far, it's still in my nose, i'm hoping it doesn't get worse.
    My blog:

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I keep an arsenal of meds to keep me comfortable. Cough drops, cough syrup, Alka Seltzer cold formula, Nyquil, Vicks rub, Vicks inhaler. I drink lots of tea and eat lots of Lipton chicken noodle soup.
    Hope you fight it off!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I used to take echinachea and vitamin c the night before I felt a cold coming and I would usually be able to kill it. I used the Frontier Herbs brand echinachea angustifolia (as opposed to purpura) as it was cheapest and I found to be most effective. I think I took maybe 500mg Vitamin C. If I got sick I stuck to this 3x/day, and it would usually be milder and over within a day or 2.

When Coldeeze lozenges (zinc lozenges) came along, it seem just as effective as echinachea, maybe more. I started using that the same way and could usually beat a cold if I caught it in time.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I'm so sorry, @rouquinne  — I hope you're able to contain it! I'm thinking sleep might be the best cure maybe? In addition to all the drugs, of course! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    shockingly enough, i think i staved it off - rinsed my nose 3 times with very, VERY salty water as hot as i could stand it! today, i'm feeling much better and even came in to the office.
    My blog:

That's awesome @rouquinne !
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Cold fx as soon as I start feeling off. That night two more, 2 Tylenol and a neocitron and go to sleep. Crazy ass dreams, but always fine by morning. I haven't been really sick in years.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    So glad to hear that, Rou.  I love the neti pot. It does make you feel so much better. 

Now, CC. I had to look up Cold FX.  Not sure we have it here in the US. Sounds intriguing. Hadn't heard of neocitron either. It looks like our NyQuil, maybe. 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    you know what really bugs me about this - i felt miserable all weekend and now i'm back to work feeling well. why can't i get sick during the week? LOL!
    My blog:

rouquinne said:
    you know what really bugs me about this - i felt miserable all weekend and now i'm back to work feeling well. why can't i get sick during the week? LOL!
    LOL. Of course — isn't that the way it always works???

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    rouquinne said:
    Because that would be too fair! LOL! Glad you managed to dodge the cold bullet @rouquinne.

me, too, ella, because it's a BAD bug! one co-worker was off half of last week and hasn't been able to come back yet because of it.
    My blog:

The flu is especially bad this year, I hear. 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    The flu is epidemic this year, and a bad one to boot. I've only had the flu twice in my adult life and it's no fun. But I hate colds too. I get 1 or 2 a year and they have actually been worse in the years since I quit smoking. Go figure. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 382Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm a total hippy... but here is "the potion". Mix this with boiling water and let steep:

1 heaping tsp fresh grated ginger
    1 heaping tsp honey
    1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
    2 or 3 dashes cayenne

This'll cure anything!

__
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, very long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    Earthtones Naturals Lover
    :thumbright:
    Canadian!!
    I would absolutely drink this, even if I didn't need to cure myself. 

edited January 2018
    I'm a total hippy... but here is "the potion". Mix this with boiling water and let steep:

1 heaping tsp honey
    2 or 3 dashes cayenne

This'll cure anything!

Awesome, Sav!  Thanks for posting. Knock on wood, I haven't had a cold this season, but I'm pulling this out if I get one. Or, like Ella, maybe even if I don't get a cold!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!

1 heaping tsp honey
    2 or 3 dashes cayenne

This'll cure anything!

if i feel it coming on again, i will definitely buy the supplies and give it a try! along with some STRONG hot toddies! :)
    My blog:

1 heaping tsp honey
    2 or 3 dashes cayenne

This'll cure anything!

I've tried this before and it did nothing for me.

• SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 382Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Aw @bomega you must not have the magic
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, very long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    Earthtones Naturals Lover
    :thumbright:
    Canadian!!
    Like the others, I would drink that potion anytime! I think I'll add some turmeric to it for some additional magic. 
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I've had one for a 1 & 1/2 weeks.  Finally feeling better today.  I don't like to take any meds, so I eat hot soup (lots of cayenne pepper) & hot baths.  Melatonin at night.  
    My mom would make a "hot toddy".  Whiskey, water, lemon juice & honey.  Puts you right to sleep & you sweat out the cold.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    I still have my mom's mustard plaster recipe. Those things would burn the heck out of your chest but they were great for croupy coughs. 
    Jeepy, I have wonderful memories of my mom rubbing vicks on my chest & heating a cloth diaper at the floor heater & putting it on my chest.  I loved the smell & the warmth was so comforting.  I would always fall asleep.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    @Lotsawaves   I am still a big fan of Vicks. I have a Vicks inhaler right here at my desk and take a sniff every once in awhile. 
    LOL!  I have some in my medicine cabinet.  I rub some around my nostrils when I can't sleep.  Makes me feel like a little girl again.  I also love the scent of clove oil.  My dentist would use it in his office & the smell was so comforting to me.
    From Michael Berg:

• BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My go-to is Emergen-C. It has never failed me. As soon as I feel a bit "off," I'll take a dose - 2 in a 24 hour period. If I forget, can't, or have run out of it, & do come down w/a cold, it'll knock it out fast by taking 3-4 doses per day. I worked in public service for many years, and it kept me going during long, often stress-filled hours. It might also be worth mentioning I don't do flu shots & haven't had the flu in many, many years. Highly, highly recommend.
    Nope. I just like to take what works. In addition, the only way to drink that drink is when you are sick because it is disgusting otherwise (I've tried.)

BeinDeb said:
    My go-to is Emergen-C. It has never failed me. As soon as I feel a bit "off," I'll take a dose - 2 in a 24 hour period. If I forget, can't, or have run out of it, & do come down w/a cold, it'll knock it out fast by taking 3-4 doses per day. I worked in public service for many years, and it kept me going during long, often stress-filled hours. It might also be worth mentioning I don't do flu shots & haven't had the flu in many, many years. Highly, highly recommend.
    Emergen-C has helped, but I found it really shines in combination with Echinachea.

I once had a co-worker who swore by taking Airborne, hich is similar to Emergen-C.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file