Post-natal

SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 382Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I am experiencing some serious hair shed since having my last baby. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a way to help?
__
2C-3A Fine, medium density, very long
Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
Earthtones Naturals Lover
:thumbright:
Canadian!!

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    I'm sorry you are dealing with post-pregnancy hair loss. I recently read a book about hormonal issues, called the Period Repair Manual, by Lara Briden, who is a Canadian naturopath based in Australia. According to this, basically you have to balance your hormones by supporting balanced production of estrogen and progesterone, reducing inflammation and stress. But to some extent you also have to wait it out and let your body do what it needs to do, especially since you are only two months post-partum.

You could try some of the solutions in this article: Scientifically tested, over-the-counter treatments for thinning hair. Item 2) is about using topical caffeine to reduce shedding. I found it work immediately and has reduced my excessive shedding (non-pregnancy-related) to less than half what it was before (maybe a quarter of before). I used black tea spray this past month, but now I'm trying out green tea. To approximate the concentration she lists, I brew 1 black tea bag/quart distilled water or 1 green tea bag/pint distilled water. Another member of curltalk used caffeine capsules and it worked great for her.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • chloespeakschloespeaks Posts: 8Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It happened to me too. The hair does grow back, but keep in mind hair changes anyways as you grow older and after you've been through hormonal changes. I used to have 2C hair very very thick and long and 35% fell out after my baby at age 40. I had to crop it short in the short term and it mostly grew back, as 3C! I didn't even know that could happen.

Now ten years later, it's beginning to thin and getting white hairs so my hair dresser suggested Biotin, 5000mcg (MICROgrams) - just started but we will see. I don't know if you need it for just the 'post-natal' changes, but it's something. Some people on Amazon said it works but others said that it can cause Acne. I saw that Acne was more in youngish people and also at 10,000 mcg, so I'm dosing small to begin.
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @chloespeaks: I took biotin last year (1mg) for a non-hair-related health issue and as a pleasant side effect, I did get some unexpected new growth. However, I read an article here on nc.com that for hair reasons, Biotin is best taken along with Vitamin B5 to prevent the acne and also for the hair to grow in less brittle/more moisturized.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file