Super fun color!

GretchenGretchen AdministratorPosts: 10,501Administrators, Moderators Administrator
Check out this new article from Gerilyn. Would you do one of these bright colors in your hair? 

Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!

Comments

• ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I have always wanted to add a fun color to this graying hair, lol! Anything with purple or pink would be my choice. Because my grays would start to show up in a couple weeks I would choose to add some streaks rather than an all over color. I even talked to my stylist about and she said to go for it. Who knows, it just might happen.

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,501Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    ellaj said:
    I have always wanted to add a fun color to this graying hair, lol! Anything with purple or pink would be my choice. Because my grays would start to show up in a couple weeks I would choose to add some streaks rather than an all over color. I even talked to my stylist about and she said to go for it. Who knows, it just might happen.

Can't wait to see the pix!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 13
    I'm under the impression these don't show on black hair?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,508Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I've done a pink streak a couple times for Breast Awareness Month, but would never color my whole head. It would be very difficult to grow out. The colors are beautiful tho.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I was under the impression the Bigen colors are temporary, sort of Manic Panic type colors? Is that not the case?

@jeepcurlygurl : That streak is cute. :)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,508Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Bigen and Manic Panic are both semi-permanent which means they do not wash out, but fade, which can take weeks to months and on grey hair it might not ever go away completely until it grows out.. I would never chance it on my whole head. I see the kids walk by my office with their Manic Panic colors growing out and it's not a good look.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I've done a pink streak a couple times for Breast Awareness Month, but would never color my whole head. It would be very difficult to grow out. The colors are beautiful tho.
    @jeepcurlygurl this is exactly what I would do! I love the pink streak in your hair!

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

Bigen and Manic Panic are both semi-permanent which means they do not wash out, but fade, which can take weeks to months and on grey hair it might not ever go away completely until it grows out.. I would never chance it on my whole head. I see the kids walk by my office with their Manic Panic colors growing out and it's not a good look.
    Oh...I see. Ahh...to be young again and can get away with a faded weird color until it grows out. ;D

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 818Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    If I did it would give new twist to blue haired old lady.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 591Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @bomega, Unfortunately these colors won't show up on black or dark hair. They are semi permanent as jeepcurlygurl said, so the base has to be light for the color to really show up. They act as a stain, so the darker the base, the less likely the stain is to show up. The ladies modelling it are either wearing wigs or have bleached hair. The semi permanent does fade but has a potential to forever stain hair, particularly bleached hair. You can use semi permanent hair color on brown or black hair, and depending on the color or formula, it may give it a tint but it will fade faster on virgin dark hair.
  • larinnalarinna Posts: 16Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Here's how manic panic looks on bleach and grey hair...  It strats to fade after the first week but DOESN'T totally go away; you have to bleach all over again or cut your hair to get rid of it.  Same thing on light blond hair.  ;)

2C-3A Fine, thin density, medium lenght, not sure about porosity
    Co-washing
    Was using chemical hair dye transitioning to natural hair dye
    37 years young Canadian mother of 4 kids (18 yo B, 11 yo B, 9 yo B and 7 yo G)
    LOVES make up, hair trend, theater and music
    English is NOT my first language so I might make some mistakes...
  • sarajay13sarajay13 Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    I love love LOVE "fun" colours for my hair! Until pretty recently (until december 2017) I wore my hair varying shades of rose gold/pastel coral/pink. It was easy enough because I have auburn hair so the ombre from my roots to the pale pink at the tips was easy enough. I got tired of bleaching (so much dryness and damage) and switched to henna from Henna Color Labs. I have NO regrets doing it because of the hair health benefits of henna but some days I miss my rose gold. :s 
    3a/b
    High Porosity, Medium/Coarse, Medium/High Density
    coming back from severe damage caused by hair dye allergy
    pretty sure I just ruined my hair accidentally with spray foam in April 18  :'(
    Modified CGM starting Feb 2018
    -------------------------------------------
    Cleanser: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse Out: As I Am Co Wash
    Leave In: Kinky Curly Knot Today and/or Curls Blueberry Bliss Leave In
    Oil: Shea Moisture Argan Oil
    Stylers: Cantu Curl Activator Cream, Miss Jessie's Jelly Soft Curls or Bounce Curl Light Creme Gel
    Refresh: Deva Curl Set It Free
    Treatments: Henna Color Lab Amla hair treatment, Hair Skin and Nails dietary supplement, Henna Color Lab henna hair dye blend
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,501Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Love to see pix of all your colors @sarajay13 !

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file