No more pre-poo

TKSweeneyTKSweeney Posts: 24Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
I’ve recently stopped pre-pooing because throughout the week I keep my hair well moisturized and oiled so I decided to cut out this step. Is anyone else doing/thinking the same?

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,352Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Not exactly. I'm thinking about developing a marshmallow root based pre-poo to help with detangling in the shower. I'm trying to eliminate dry combing before showering to detangle.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    Also, welcome to nc.com :)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,354Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I still pre-poo with coconut oil but I don't use oil otherwise since my 3B hair doesn't really like it. It does love an overnight pre-poo tho! 
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : /  https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • TKSweeneyTKSweeney Posts: 24Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Tx Bromega!

I’ve been with the curltalk for a while but for some reason it keeps showing me as a new member?!? Lol

I don’t use combs, I use my fingers and keep my hair in a medium-sized two strand twist bun or puffy two-strand twist tucked braid. So I really don’t get a lot of tangling maybe that along with the water and oil throughout the week is why I’m able to forego that step?

@ JeepCurly:
    I eat coconut oil! Lol

Coconut oil does just an ‘okay’ job on my hair. I never noticed any big deal about it...my go-to’s are grapeseed, olive and avocado in that order. 

I wish coconut oil had been more awesome for me so I could buy just the one oil for everything! Lol
    Haha..I don't know who the old-timers are - sorry about that. I first found nc.com back in 2004, but didn't join. Learned what I needed to back then, then moved on to other things. Fast forward and my hair gets weird, and came back to learn more last year. I'm glad its coming back to life because in a short time, I had learned a lot, and this is just such a great resource for curlies all in one place. I guess a lot of people use facebook and youtube, but this is been just a one-stop shop for all the info I need.

I hope to get away from dry combing. I guess I don't *have* to, but it gets me out of the shower faster. I wonder if a pre-poo with a ton of slip would be just as fast and help promote clumps even more. I guess this is what I get for washing my hair everyday though. :/

I really like the site too but I do use more than one resource for differing points of reference.

Wow, I couldn’t wash my hair everyday because I’d be running through all of my products! Lol

I do wet it everyday though to keep my waves.

Maybe you’re getting tangles from stripping your hair oil daily? I read that somewhere before... I am NOT a “Guru”! Lol
    edited January 14
    I learned a lot of nc.com at first, but lately I've found the articles to be a bit hit or miss. But Curltalk has been invaluable in the past few months for getting new ideas as well as learning about new resources on the internet that have helped other people (blogs, youtubes, etc.) And there are some great articles on NC too. I guess this is largely because I'm not on facebook. It seems that is how a lot of people learn about new resources. What others do you use?

I *do* run through a lot of products.  I go through a quart of conditioner every month! But this is currently how I've been able to have reliable healthy hair. Yeah, I've also heard about washing less should be less drying, that co-washing is for that too. Ironically, washing less frequently dries my hair out, and cowashing weight it down, and feels icky. It was my dirty secret for years that I wash my hair everyday, but recently I read somewhere on the Sciency Hair Blog that fine low-porosity hair can get away with this, and even benefit from it. I felt real vindication when a type 4 curly came on Curltalk a few months ago saying she breaks the rules and washes everyday for good results. Turns out she also had low porosity fine hair too! However, I would like to get to where I can go at least 1 day without washing, and ideally maybe wash twice a week. I think it is possible with the right mix of products, but I'm still working that out.

Interesting, I find that my scalp/hair kind of let’s me do a couple of things.

As of now, I decided to buy the Revlon paddle brush blow dryer. Love it!
    So I blew my hair out a week and a half ago. I haven’t put any water on it or my scalp, except the ends-which are tucked, and I’m not having any issues. It’s weird because I have been putting water on my hair and scalp daily, sometimes twice daily, for the last few years. I thought that was my regimen and that’s what my scalp/hair liked. Come to find out, keeping it blow dryed is a little bit better because I can see my length/pouf-braid a lot better and my hairs not all scrunched down from being wet. Eye-opener!!

I’m still oiling it every other day and using this Aveda product with water as the main ingredient, I doctored it with my oil mix though-lol. I find that I can also give myself scalp massages more easily and not have to worry about disturbing my curls. I’m LOVING this! 

I think I’ve become a blow dry natural! Lol

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file