Frizz

EMTgirlEMTgirl Registered Users Posts: 10 Curl Neophyte

I used to wear my hair always pulled up until I started nursing school and then I cut it all off so it was super short.  When I got close to graduation I started to let it grow out and finally let it be curly.  I haven't paid much attention to my products that I've been using until recently.  Now I'm strictly using CG products.  I squish to condish in the shower and have so much frizz even as I'm doing that.  I don't fully rinse all of the conditioner and wrap my hair in an old T-shirt while I dry off.  By the time I'm dry, it seems like my hair is already getting too dry in the T-shirt and the frizz is insane.  I use gel and then SOTC when it's dry and end up with a ton of frizz when I SOTC.  I can't figure out what I need to change.  Any suggestions? 

I'm a 3A/3B.  Using V05 conditioner to cowash and Sauve Naturals Coconut to condition and not fully rinsing that out.  Using LA Looks mega hold gel.

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm not even sure how hair can be frizzy while it's wet? I'd have to see a photo. Does your hair feel super dry? Split ends? Maybe it needs clarified, or maybe it needs a trim. Or maybe try a deep condition treatment or a coconut oil pre-poo treatment. I would also try not manipulating it too much. Run your conditioner through your hair, detangling with your fingers. Massage your scalp but not to exuberantly, don't scrunch too much. Good luck! 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi EMTgirl, I have a few thoughts:
    1) I tried squish-to-condish, plopping, and scrunching, and it gave me frizzy hair and no clumps. So now, I do everything right-side-up, smoothing my shampoo/conditioner and relevant styling products down the length of my hair. In addition, instead of scrunching to dry, I smooth the t-shirt down the length of my hair, squeezing as I go to get the water out. I do this 4-5 times until I feel like it isn't doing to drip.

2) I let my hair air dry, but as it is drying, I have frizz. I control every urge to touch, flip, or otherwise manhandle my hair, regardless of the agony I feel. I ignore its taunts that it is going to frizz, because I know its a trick. When my hair hits 100% dry - 0-minimal frizz, just curls and clumps.

3) What is your hair properties (hair width, porosity, maybe density)? To figure out your hair properties, I think there is a guide in the newbie threads. If you have low porosity hair, the Suave Tropical Coconut might not be working for you because it has silk protein in it. I think some people even with low porosity hair can use Suave Tropical Coconut, but it's just a thought.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • EMTgirlEMTgirl Registered Users Posts: 10 Curl Neophyte
    I never get clumps. My hair always looks like I combed it with a fine tooth comb, even when I squish it. I get out of the shower and scrunch with an old t-shirt to get the excess water out and it seems to be already dry in places. I'm not tech savvy at all and couldn't figure out how to add a picture. 

I think I'm low porosity, 3A/3B, coarse hair. I don't have a super thick head of hair, but it's not thin either. I probably do need a haircut. It does feel a little dry. I tried a deep conditioning but don't like it's more moisturized. I'll try a different conditioner that doesn't have coconut and see if that helps and get a haircut. Hopefully that helps.
  • EMTgirlEMTgirl Registered Users Posts: 10 Curl Neophyte
    I never get clumps. My hair always looks like I combed it with a fine tooth comb, even when I squish it. I get out of the shower and scrunch with an old t-shirt to get the excess water out and it seems to be already dry in places. I'm not tech savvy at all and couldn't figure out how to add a picture. 

I think I'm low porosity, 3A/3B, coarse hair. I don't have a super thick head of hair, but it's not thin either. I probably do need a haircut. It does feel a little dry. I tried a deep conditioning but don't like it's more moisturized. I'll try a different conditioner that doesn't have coconut and see if that helps and get a haircut. Hopefully that helps.
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Yeah, that's what I mean - squishing and scrunching decrease clumping for me...increases frizz. Which is why I follow the process above.

Have you clarified recently (possibly before your deep treatment. Periodic clarifying has a tendancy to help finicky hair. Alternatively, if deep conditioning didn't help, maybe you need a protein treatment even if you are low porosity? Here is a Protein 101 article on the Sciency Hair Blog that might help. Or alternatively, you could try just products with protein in them. There was a time in the past when my hair used to love silk protein, and I found hair happiness with Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Shampoo, Conditioner, and Style Milk.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file