Newbie SOS

star99star99 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 7 Curl Neophyte
Hi, I have 3A/3B high porosity curls. I would love any tips and recommendations anyone can give me on hair products and whether or not I should use the curly girl method or the “modified version) I’m super overwhelmed being new to the silicone sulphate free method and on what hair products to use. Specifically on what to wash my hair with and whether or not penetrating and sealing oils is a good idea? 

Comments

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    HI @star99 : Welcome to nc.com. To some extent, you will have to experiment (with products and techniques) to see what works for you and your hair. You have your curl type and porosity listed above, do you know your hair width? These will help determine what types of products and techniques might work for you.

As for using penetrating or sealing oils, they can be a good idea if they work for you...you just have to experiment to find out. The LOC technique (using Leave-in, then Oil, then Cream/Gel) of styling hair does seem to have success with people with coarse hair and/or people with higher numbered curl patterns. Are you familiar with it?

Finally have you seen the Curly Girl Handbook by Lorraine Massey? Many people have learned bout the Curly Girl Method from this book and found it helpful. I learned by reading around nc.com, Curltalk and blogs so you don't need the book, but it might be a good place to start.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    i agree with what @bomega said.  in addition to lorraine massey's book (which you can find at your library or on amazon, or other book websites), you should read the threads in the "Newbie" forum.  lots of good info. 

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    Seconding the "Newbie" forum that rbb recommends. I learned a lot over there when I first started out, and still revisit. Rockyn Curls and Live Curly Live Free were a couple of blogs that really helped me out. The Sciency Hair Blog is a curltalk favorite that has been indispensible.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

• star99star99 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 7 Curl Neophyte
    Thank you for all your helpful tips and links. They’ve helped so much! I’ve been reading all the links you’ve listed and have been getting a way better understanding on how this all works. Appreciate it! :)
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    i'll add one more that i found, and still find, helpful --
    http://curljunkie.blogspot.com/2010/02/my-2-cents-on-proteintextureporositymoi.html

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    @star99: Glad to hear it! Come back if you have any questions or more ideas. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file