What is actual natural?

clockworkangel_loverclockworkangel_lover Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hello everyone, 
I have this issue. My mom and I seem to have a different outlook on what natural hair is. My mom thinks that by me using gel and leave-in conditioner, and combing my hair out in small sections, that that's not my natural hair. I have never used any chemicals (unless gel and conditioner are chemicals), no texturizers, no perms, and in the last year, not even a flat iron or pressing comb. 
My hair ritual is a wash-n-go (I guess) where I comb out and apply my gel/leave-in conditioner mix to my wet hair and let it air dry. My mom has always said things like, "those aren't your curls, you put them there". I'm so confused. I was under the impression that even people with the most softest of curl patterns use some sort of product to style their hair. I just want to make sure I'm not crazy. Am I not natural because I use gel and leave-in conditioner?  Is this considered to not be my natural hair? Does using products in hair not constitute natural hair? 

Best Answers

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,705 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I consider hair natural when there are no chemical treatments.  I use gel and a diffuser but still think of my hair as natural. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • CurlyArtistCurlyArtist Posts: 22 Curl Connoisseur
    edited January 2018 Accepted Answer
    Curls look their best when hydrated. If your hair just starts curling when hydrated your natural. Gel just keeps things in place when movement and the weather happen; instead of having a frizz ball. Diffusing brings out volume because it's drying faster under warm air. My hair comes out curly without doing much to it if I shower under soft water, the hard water of Indiana makes my hair fall flatter, duller and dryer due to the minerals in the water. So I have to put in an extra step of cream to my rutine. But that doesn't make the curling that happens any less real. 
    The only ways you can "put them there" is with tools like curlers, curling wands, perms etc.
    Shampoo: Renpure Originals Argan Oil Luxurious Shampoo
    Clarifying Shampoo: EDEN Bodyworks Peppermint Tea Tree Shampoo
    Conditioner: Maui Moisture Coconut Curly Conditioner
    Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Moisture Masque
    Protein Treatment: Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula Deep Conditioning Protein Pack
    Cream: SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Milk
                  or Palmers Hair Milk Smoothie Coconut Oil Formula
    Oil: Olive Oil
    Gel: Schwartzkopf Smooth N' Shine Curl Defining Mousse

Transitioning type 2c/3a naturally ash brown. Transitioning from chemical dye damage.
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,059 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Without manipulating your hair with curlers as @curlyartist said or a hot curling iron, your hair still curls, you have naturally curly hair or textured hair. A product will not make hair curly, it will only enhance, defrizz, or moisturize what you already have. Your mother is mistaken as are many other people who think if they use the same products they will have the same results. Just spend a few minutes around the forum, and you'll find that the same products and same techniques produce different results even among people who share the same hair type.
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,353 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @clockworkangel_lover : Welcome to nc.com. To answer your question, I had always thought that to have natural hair means to have hair that has not had its texture chemically altered such as with relaxer.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file