Tips for growing out hair?

Lbo1000Lbo1000 Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
So around the beginning of Summer I decided to stop straightening my hair and embrace my curls, at this point my hair was a little bit below my collarbone (straightened). So fast forward a bit, I get my first "curly haircut", and due to all of the damage caused by years of frying my hair my hair was a little bit over mid-neck curly after the cut. Since then its regained most of its curl and is now down to right above my collarbone. But anyway, my goal is to eventually get waist length hair. So far I have been deep conditioning with a mixture of coconut and shea butter once a week, combing my hair rather than brushing, sleeping with satin pillowcases, and taking vitamins to help with hair strength.

So I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get there?

(I'd also like to add that I wash my hair every 2-3 days with sulfate free shampoo, which I know is pretty often, but its what works with my hair. I also tried cowashing awhile back; but it didn't seem to really clean my hair at all. Was I not doing it right?)

Thank you!

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @Lbo1000 : Welcome to nc.com. Congrats on embracing your natural hair texture. To increase length, it helps to 1) promote growth, 2) minimize breakage, and 3) have patience.

There isn't a whole lot you can do to promote growth, as this is somewhat genetic. Eat a healthy diet, manage stress, do what you need to to keep your hormones balanced. The vitamins will help. You can do some green tea/black tea rinses to minimize shedding. But, basically just take care of yourself.

To minimize breakage, the Curly Girl Method (and its modified variants) can help. If you aren't familiar with it, look around nc.com, curltalk, and/or get the Curly Girl Handbook by Lorraine Massey. It sounds like you are already familiar with the method somewhat if you are using a sulfate free shampoo and tried co-washing. However, you might also want to look up your hair properties (hair width, porosity, density). These will determine what the best products and techniques are likely to work with your hair. If you want to refine your products and techniques, let us know your hair properties and we can try to help you out.

It's ok that you didn't think co-washing worked for you - it doesn't for many of us. Like you we wash with a sulfate free shampoo (low-poo) maybe follow with a rinseout conditioner and go from there. If you feel like you need to wash every other day, that's fine too (some of us wash every day, including myself.)

Finally, you are just going to have to have patience. Hair grows at a rate of 0.5 inches/month give or take. To some extent you just have to let it do its thing.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Yep, @bomega is right, we basically just have to be patient while growing out our hair.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file