Mousse-gel

RedwithcurlsRedwithcurls Posts: 9Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I have 3a long hair, I've been using mousse but I'm thinking about switching to a gel.  My mousse works beautifully for an hour then it looses definition and frizzes. Any recommendations? Are there mousse/gels out there that are good? Thanks for your help, you all are brilliant and are so knowledgeable💕

Best Answers

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,468 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    It will probably take some experimenting to find what your hair likes the most. My hair doesn't do well with mousse at all but give it some LA Looks Sport Gel and it's happy as can be. : ) 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 434 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    LA Looks Sports gel is a hard hold gel that many like as @jeepcurlygurl mentioned. I've never tried it but plan to in the future during the humid months. I like the Ecoco Styler Arran Oil one found at Sally. Another popular gel in this community. It's not too hard holding but it doesn't dry out my hair. Best of luck!
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,352 Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 10 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Redwithcurls : You got some good ideas here, and both the LA Looks Sports Gel and the Ecostyler are very affordable so easily worth a try. When I want a finished look, I have been using the Giovanni LA Natural Gel, which I prefer over the above two because it doesn't have protein (nor parabens which the LA Looks Sports Gel has). I use it over a leave-in to help my curls stay hydrated.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 558 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    Fine, low density curly here. Mousse does the same thing for me. Kinky Curly Curling Custard is one of my HG's, followed closely by Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curly Magic. I've also been experimenting with Mielle's Honey & Ginger Styling Gel. It doesn't take much of either of those products (a dab'll do ya), so they last a long time, and they're all good for moisturizing as well. 
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 558 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    No worries Redwithcurls. I rarely get the crunch either. In fact, it's become an indicator as to whether or not my hair is completely dry. Most of the time, if the crunch is still there, it's not as dry as I may think it is. If I do scrunch it out, I will loose both curl and definition. And, it doesn't seem to matter how much I use. I can't help but wonder if it's because my hair is so porous? Perhaps yours is the same way?
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 434 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Glad you had longer lasting curls, @Redwithcurls. The eco styler gel I use sometimes has a crunch and sometimes not. I don't know if it's the amount used or what causes it. If you're getting success, I wouldn't worry about it. But interesting to know that LA sports gel is the same. Thanks for the update!
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,352 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Redwithcurls : Of course still using the Giovanni gel, but I don't have crunch to scrunch either. Just clumps, hold without frizz, and good shape as well.

I don't think its all coming off the shirt if you are getting improved results. To get more hold, try using more?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 354 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    Have you considered a custard? Kinky Curly Curling Custard will give you serious definition and hold while Moptop's is effective but softer.
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!

Answers

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,423Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Hi @Redwithcurls — have you been experimenting? What have you tried? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • RedwithcurlsRedwithcurls Posts: 9Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    @Gretchen thanks for checking on me.  I have used the LA Looks Sport Gel actually it is "extreme sport".  I use it on my wet hair and then I plop with a T-shirt.  I thought it would be crunchy but it isn't, maybe most of the gel is coming off on the shirt? Not sure.  My curls are soft and defined, they last longer than with mousse but not quite as hard holding as I envisioned.  I am still experimenting.  I was expecting to have to scrunch out the crunch but there's no crunch to scrunch.  

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file