Co wash and clarifying???

star99star99 Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hi, I’m new to the curly girl method and am super excited to start this hair journey but I’m super confused on a couple things. I just bought some new products. I bought the renpure coconut water hydrating shampoo (which has cocamidopropyl betaine) and the renpure nourishing coconut MILK conditioner. Now my question is this shampoo would it be considered a clarifying one since it has cocamidopropyl betaine in it? Is that what makes a clarifying shampoo clarifying? And I only use a clarifying shampoo once in awhile for build up? Other wise I will just be co washing on the regular or as needed? 

Best Answer

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    1. A clarifying shampoo will say clarifying on it.
    2. Depending on the ingredients, it may not remove what you need it to. In my experience, cocamidopropyl betaine does not remove silicone. Kinky curly come clean has a unique ingredient in it that my sulfate clarifier doesn't even have. But I don't remember what it removes.
    3. If you needed, a sulfate shampoo once in a while won't harm your hair, and you can negate the dryness by deep conditioning.
    4. Build up and how often to clarify will depend on your hair and what products you use. Play it by ear, and anytime your hair is going wonky, clarify. It sort of works like a reset.
    5. Co wash when you feel you need a light cleansing, and sulfate free shampoo when you need a bit more cleansing. I co wash during the week to remove what little sweat or dirt has accumulated. Sulfate free on the weekends when I have time to deep condition. How often will depend on your hair and preference. Just be aware that build up is a thing so if you need a sulfate shampoo, it's ok.
    I hope this helped some. Best of luck on your journey!

Answers

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    You know, that is actually a good question. Wendy from the Sciency Hair Blog says coco... betaine may be clarifying for silicones. But like @BrittanyM says above, I do not find it to be clarifying for silicones or anything else, but find it to be one of the stronger gentle cleanser.

However, I *think* if you are going to be strict CG, using the conditioner as a co-wash and that shampoo about 1x/week would probably work. Then, to clarify buildup, use a true-blue clarifier 1x/month.

Here is a list of clarifying shampoos to remove product build-up: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2016/07/shampoos-which-remove-product-build-up.html
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file