Getting gum out of clothes

GretchenGretchen AdministratorPosts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
edited January 2018 in Non-hair discussion
Ok, so I know this is a weird, random topic, but I was so excited I had to share it in case anyone else encounters this problem. 

Some dingbat at DS1's school put a fresh wad of gum under the desktop DS1 sat in the following period. Smeared gum all over his shorts and his shirt (DS1 is a BIG kid). He was devastated.... favorite shirt etc. 

We tried freezing the clothes; we tried pouring boiling water over them.  We used spray stain remover, and washed in washer. Still there. 

Then we read about another trick, and tried it. Poured liquid laundry detergent over the spots, let it soak a few minutes, then scrubbed with toothbrush. 

It worked!  Gum (several days old at this point!) came out!  We're so happy! We ran both items through the washer and no signs of gum. YAY!

(I know I'm weird.)

Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur

That's awesome!!! And I love random tips like this!

Not sure how well known (I had no clue!) but if you rub a stainless steel spoon all over your hands after cutting onions or garlic, it takes the smell out!

I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    oooooo! Great tip, CC! Didn't know that one!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I always thought it was best to freeze the clothing or rub an ice cube over the gum, so it will harden & you can scrape it off.

My tip is to pour Dawn detergent into slow draining drains.  My apt complex will not let us use Drano, etc.  It worked great on my tub & bathroom sink.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    We know how hard it can be to scrape the stickers off of the bottom of a new glass vase, or any other glass container. What works like a charm is dish detergent. Just rub a small amount of the detergent into the sticker, let it sit for a bit and then use a toothbrush to to remove it. 

I purchased a pretty glass vase as a gift and wanted it wrapped at the gift shop. The salesgirl reached under the counter and brought out a sample size of palmolive dish soap and proceeded to remove the sticker in minutes.

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

That's nice to know Ellaj.  I've used goo be gone, but the detergent will be much cheaper.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    That's nice to know Ellaj.  I've used goo be gone, but the detergent will be much cheaper.
    Yes it will, @Lotsawaves!

You had mentioned Drano and how you were not allowed to use it in your drain, I get this. We had a plumber tell us stories of how people using drano had caused him so much grief over the years. That stuff eats not only the clog, it also eats the pipes from the inside out. I am amazed to hear that dish detergent works, awesome to know.

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso

That's awesome!!! And I love random tips like this!

Not sure how well known (I had no clue!) but if you rub a stainless steel spoon all over your hands after cutting onions or garlic, it takes the smell out!

I had no idea. Will definitely try this.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    Allega, it has to be Dawn detergent.  CC that is a great tip.
    From Michael Berg:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file