Has anyone tried to make a hair cream?

Kendall1120Kendall1120 Registered Users Posts: 9 Curl Neophyte
A few months ago, I tried my hand at making a hair cream.  I've whipped up shea butter in the past but without water in the recipe it is just a sealant, not a moisturizer-- which is what I needed.  I watched a youtuber- Humblebee & me.  I tried to use her lotion recipe, thinking that a natural hair cream is pretty equivalent to a lotion.  It wasn't.  My hair was WHITE.  I tried altering the recipe but I eventually just gave up.  Any ideas?

Best Answers

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Here are a couple options to try from the Sciency Hair Blog:
    Flax Seed Curl Cream (stronger version)
    Super Smooth Flax Curl Cream
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Kendall1120Kendall1120 Registered Users Posts: 9 Curl Neophyte
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks for the recipe!  Too bad I'm protein sensitive and it has flaxseed gel. Hopefully someone else can use the recipe.
    edited January 2018 Accepted Answer
    I just saw your comment on our other thread about gel. In the comments, someone asked about the protein, and Wendy says that flax seed gel is actually low protein (flax seed has protein, but it is only released when you blend the seeds). If you are getting excess crunch, you could try making it thinner or adding something to help (oil, glycerine). Otherwise, you don't like to scrunch-out-the-crunch (SOTC)?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

• Kendall1120Kendall1120 Registered Users Posts: 9 Curl Neophyte
    Accepted Answer
    I've tried SOTC but my hair was extremely dry after, even when I incorporated oils into the recipe.  And even with low protein products my hair has reacted negatively-- it gets dry and brittle and I experience incomplete splits all throughout the length of my strands.

Answers

Ugh, that sounds awful. Don't blame you for not wanting to try again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file