How can I get my curly hair back?

Kristenn.Kristenn. Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited January 2018 in Thin/Thinning hair
I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis at age 13 back in 2016. I am 15 now and my hair has been falling out ever since. I did research and there's not much on how to fix hair loss related to UC but almost every patient experiences it. The hair loss has stopped for now but my hair isn't back to normal. I've tried many hair treatments and oils but its like my hair just gets longer and stays thin (JBCO etc..) My hair used to be a 2c, it was really thick and had nice curly waves, now it just feels like 1c hair with some sort of waves at the top. I have noticed that it is thicker on my scalp and much more thin at the bottom. I really need help, I'm only a teen and this is super frustrating. I honestly don't know what to do anymore I just hate taking pictures, going outside, or even being stared at because of my hair loss. Please help  :'( :( !!!

Answers

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @kristenn : Welcome to nc.com. I'm sorry you had to go through this, but luckily they were able to get a diagnosis for you.

It might take some time for your hair to come back, but the fact that it is thick at the scalp but thin down low could be a sign of new growth coming in that just needs time to catch up to the length of the older growth.

Unfortunately, time is going to be your number one tool for hair growth in general. But a few ideas that *might* help:

1) Have you talked to your doctor? What did he say? I'm sure you did, I was just wondering if there might have been some insight there.

2) Last year I took Biotin for a non-hair loss related health issue, and as a pleasant side effect noticed I was getting unexpected new hair growth. I was taking around 1mg. I've read that it is advised to take biotin with Vitamin B5 for hair growth purposes. There are hair-specific vitamin formulas you could try, but I can't recommend any from personal experience. If you decide to try this, be mindful of comparing what you are taking along with any other supplements you are taking so as not to overdo it on anything.

3) I started doing a daily caffeine spray to reduce hairloss and it has worked wonders. I use a diluted tea formula - 1 black tea bag/1 quart of distilled water. You can also try 1 green tea bag/1 pint of distilled water. I got this idea from the Sciency Hair blog and the above proportions are roughly what she recommends (200mg caffeine/1 gallon distilled water)

4) You said you tried many treatments, but can you be more specific? Have you tried deep conditioning? Protein treatments?

5) Amla powder is supposed to have some curl enhancing properties. You can buy amla powder from an Indian grocery store very inexpensively. I find it does bring out some curl in my hair. To do this, make a thin paste with 25grams amla powder, leave on for maybe 20-60 minutes, then rinse (shampoo/condition or cowash). I find I must follow with an oil treatment to make the hair cuticle settle down. I apply coconut oil or seseme oil generously overnight, then shampoo/condition the next day.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Kristenn.Kristenn. Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited January 2018
    Hi @bomega thanks for replying quickly. But its not only growth that I'm asking about. Its that my hair went from a 2c to a 1c. My hair was wavy curly before. It wasn't until August or September of 2016 that I saw results of hair loss. It stopped somewhere mid year 2017 but its take a very long time to grow back. Even now its still not the same. How can hair go from being a 2c to a 1c??? If you want pictures of before & after I can post them.

1) Have you talked to your doctor? What did he say? I'm sure you did, I was just wondering if there might have been some insight there.

Yes my doctor has told me to visit a dermatologist but I don't know where to start or where to go and I keep asking my mother, as I am only 15 yrs old. But I think it is of malnutrition, as people with UC lose many of their nutrients after the blood in the stool and etc (you can search up the symptoms). I am not totally sure though as it could be multiple things. It could be my medication, malnutrition, or the IBD itself. Then again my doctor tells me that I have all my vitamins and that I'm healthy.

4) You said you tried many treatments, but can you be more specific? Have you tried deep conditioning? Protein treatments?

I have mostly tried like oils, massages, you know like those hair growth fertilizers, multivitamins (but tbh I haven't took the multivitamins as much), and hair gummies. But I feel like the best thing to do for now is visit a dermatologist.

edited January 2018
    I believe you about the curl texture change. Curl texture can change throughout a person's life, even without getting sick like you did with the UC, but that is something that *can* trigger a change. Hormonal fluctuations due to life changes is a major factor in curl pattern changes in women. Puberty, pregnancy, menopause, onset of other hormonal diseases, especially thyroid problems can do it too. So, with the UC, your age, its not too surprising. In addition, I can't say if the tighter curl pattern will come back, but if it will, probably the number one thing you can do to make it happen is eat healthy and stay on top of keeping the UC under control. I don't know the specifics about the diet you have to follow for your UC, but the number one thing I found to help my hair, hands down, was eating a high amount of dark leafy greens (kale, collards, chard, etc) and fresh fruits and vegetables (I was drinking green smoothies with a lot of greens).

If you wanted to explore the hormonal connection a little further, you could take serious look at your personal cycle, starting with charting your cycle. I started doing this in my 40's just for the personal awareness, and it has been incredible what I have learned about my health, my body, and myself for doing this. I used a book called Cycle Savvy by Toni Weschler to learn charting. This is a book geared towards teens for body awareness, but I guess I found it to be more at my level than the one for grown women. :D It was an easy way to start charting, and then I used other resources to troubleshoot the problems I found which were indicated by the data I collected. One of the best resources I came across for this was the Period Repair Manual by Lara Briden, who is a naturopathic doctor. (BTW, Period Repair Manual is a good read even if you don't start charting your cycle.) I was able to get both of these books from my public library.

I think it would be a good idea to see a dermatologist, to rule out medical issues. If they don't find anything then yay! and be patient with your hair until it can recover from what it had to go through. (<snip> repeating myself *blush*)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

Thanks @bomega I'll definitely try to be patient. I've already started replacing my entire fridge with dark green veggies etc. Thanks for being the only one to reply though, If I visit a dermatologist I'll say how it went.  :D 
    edited January 2018
    You're welcome. I'm sorry I didn't have a magic trick up my sleeve to help you. ;) I think the UC is a tricky thing. I had a little familiarity with it because I have celiac disease, and back then there wasn't a lot known about it. A lot of the resources I used were UC and Crohns disease resources. I learned that lots of inflammatory conditions (and autoimmune disorders) affect the hair, especially ones related to the gut.

But I do think given time and TLC, that your hair will bounce back. Definitely check in with any changes or new info! :)

Yeah autoimmune conditions suck :( but I will definitely love to keep informing you on my hair progress and etc. Thanks @bomega so much again for replying it gave me hope that my hair will grow back <3 :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file