2b-2c

AndMarieMooreAndMarieMoore Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 17 Curl Neophyte
Best types of hair products? 

I‘ve used Shea Moisture's coconut and habiscus shampoo and conditioner. It made my hair look oily, and feel rough and dirty. It felt like too much product in my hair. 

Did I use the wrong one?

Best Answers

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018 Accepted Answer
    Maybe. Can you tell us more about your hair type (hair width, porosity, possibly density)? You can read more about figuring this out in the newbie threads.

The Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus line is a pretty good one to start with. It's pretty popular (but I guess enough people who also didn't like it.)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • AndMarieMooreAndMarieMoore Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 17 Curl Neophyte
    edited January 2018 Accepted Answer
    bomega said:
    Maybe. Can you tell us more about your hair type (hair width, porosity, possibly density)? You can read more about figuring this out in the newbie threads.

The Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus line is a pretty good one to start with. It's pretty popular (but I guess enough people who also didn't like it.)

Porosity: High 

Thickness: Medium 

Density: Medium.

Hair Type: Either 2b-2c.

Hair length: Shoulder length.

Not sure about hair width.

Hair gets super frizzy. After I take a shower the top of my head tends to have little hairs that float around. Live in the dessert. 

Yeah, I heard the Coconut Habiscus was good so I used it but it didn’t go well with my hair. It made it soft but also look too oily. Left white stuff in my hair and it felt like too much of the product was still in my hair. 
    Accepted Answer
    It is confusing. High porosity hair tends to like protein, and this one is one of the easier proteins to use. Since you live in the desert, you want to avoid humectants (like glycerin), and this one does not have any.

Weird frizz, have you clarified and deep conditioned recently?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

Accepted Answer
    What are you using for your clarify/DT? Also what are you using for your daily shampoo/condition (when you aren't using the Coconut Hibiscus)?

Yeah, I was referring to the Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Shampoo and Conditioner. I guess I'm sort of partial to this too because long ago my hair was really happy when I found this (I used these with the Style Milk as a leave-in).

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    You said you have a painful scalp with bumps if you don't wash it. Not trying to intrude, but that sounds like a medical problem. I hope you have seen a doctor or will see one. Painful scalp with bumps seems like a medical problem to me (I am in no way a licensed medical professional).
  • ellajellaj Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 826 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Best types of hair products? 

I‘ve used Shea Moisture's coconut and habiscus shampoo and conditioner. It made my hair look oily, and feel rough and dirty. It felt like too much product in my hair. 

Did I use the wrong one?
    Hi, @AndMarieMoore. I am anywhere from a 2b/c/3a hair type, not to mention fine and porous. I find the Shea Moisture products can weigh my hair down and, like you mention, leave it feeling and looking oily. 

@BrittanyM offered up some good advice, have a doctor check your scalp, preferably when it is actively irritated.

You may have an allergy to an ingredient in the Shea Moisture shampoo and conditioner, so I would stop using it. Perhaps clarify your hair and then give your scalp a break for a few days, as in don't add any product to your scalp, only your hair.

There is a product out there for you, it just may take time to find the right one. This is something that I have had to do, in fact I am still in search mode.

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Welcome, @AndMarieMoore !

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Accepted Answer
    Yeah, I agree with @ellaj that maybe you have a sensitivity to something in the SM Coconut Hibiscus line. And also with @BrittanyM that you should consider seeing a doctor. In the mean time, to educate yourself, here is an article on the Sciency Hair Blog about itchy scalp: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/p/products-for-itchy-scalp.html

If you want to try another product before seeing the doctor, you could try the Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo/Conditioner. Giovanni is a trusted natural brand - one of the pioneers. These can be found at Whole Foods and natural markets for around $6-8 so it won't set you back too much. (Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle is similar, but I found it to be a little more drying. It does have a clarifying agent.)

Answers

• AndMarieMooreAndMarieMoore Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 17 Curl Neophyte
    bomega said:
    It is confusing. High porosity hair tends to like protein, and this one is one of the easier proteins to use. Since you live in the desert, you want to avoid humectants (like glycerin), and this one does not have any.

Weird frizz, have you clarified and deep conditioned recently?
    I do it every once in a while. I know I shouldn’t wash my hair a lot but the problem with my hair is the fact that if I don’t wash it for a day it the next day I get bumps in it and it gets too painful to move. I can’t even straighten my hair because of the fact that later on in the day it starts to feel heavy and painful. 

And I’m sorry but what do you mean this one? Do you mean the Coconut Hibiscus Sampoo & Conditioner?
    bomega said:
    What are you using for your clarify/DT? Also what are you using for your daily shampoo/condition (when you aren't using the Coconut Hibiscus)?

Yeah, I was referring to the Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Shampoo and Conditioner. I guess I'm sort of partial to this too because long ago my hair was really happy when I found this (I used these with the Style Milk as a leave-in).
    I use Herbal Essences wild Naturals Detoxifying Sampoo. 

Maui Moisture Coconut Sampoo and Conditioner for Dry Hair.

I put Tea Tree Oil in my hair. 

I use Herbbal Essence totally twisted curl scrunching gel. (It leaves my hair too frizzy, and ugly so I don’t really use it anymore.) 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file