Similar products to DevaCurl for fine, wavy/curly 2b hair?

Kris22Kris22 Posts: 4Registered Users Curl Neophyte
A couple of years ago, I was using DevaCurl's nopoo and conditioner, and it did wonders for my hair. However, it made my scalp and shoulders itchy. I tried just using the conditioner with head and shoulders shampoo (still my favorite shampoo for my dry skin) but my skin still reacted to it--I've concluded I'm somewhat allergic to it. However, I haven't found anything I liked as much since. Does anyone know of a similar conditioner (or other products) I could try? My hair tends to get dry but if I put in too much oil etc it looks wet and my curls get piecey. I have very fine hair. 

Answers

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    Do you know your hair porosity? I don't use Deva curl products but here are some thoughts.

My fine hair really likes the Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo and Conditioner in my signature line. The conditioner isn't strong enough for me in the winter so I switch to my winter formulas. (I like the Alaffia Coconut Reishi Nourishing Conditioner, as well as the Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating conditioner, which is much more affordable.)

In the past though, I have also used the Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Shampoo, Conditioner, and Style Milk with great success. Your hair might like this better if it likes the Deva Curl because it has protein in it.

But if you are having trouble with sensitivity, take a look at Raw Curls or Eco Sevi. Both of these lines were developed due to the owner's sensitivities.

Finally, the Head and Shoulders has dimethicone in it, so you might need to clarify and deep treat before going on. The Sciency Hair Blog has a couple articles about dealing with scalp issues that might help you:
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/p/products-for-itchy-scalp.html
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/itchy-scalp-some-easy-remedies.html
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 379Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have found that the Yes to Carrots conditioner is very similar to Devacurl's One C. And a quarter of the price of One C! I also like it as a cowash... in fact I havent used it in a while and now I want to go out and buy some! Lol
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Do you know which ingredient caused the sensitivity?  I wouldn't want to suggest something for you to end up having more problems.

Also have you tried the conditioner on the ends of your hair only, keeping it off your scalp?

2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,500Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    If you want a curly-specific product, you could try lines by Jessicurl or Ouidad or Curl Junkie. Jessicurl in particular has fragrance-free options and may be more suitable for sensitive skin. Ouidad is available at Ulta, and they will take it back if it doesn't work for you.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file