Do my products contain protein?

EvieG_UKEvieG_UK Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hi all, I'm new to CG and I'm trying to get the moisture-protein balance right at the moment but I'm not sure if my hair needs more protein. I have bleach damaged, 2b, thin and high porosity hair, i think. It stretches well and pings back, and I have to pull relatively  hard for it to break - my hair has always been dry and it's never been this stretchy before so I think I have enough moisture. It doesn't really feel like chewing gum... I'm not really sure so would like to just make sure that the products I'm using have a good balance of moisture and protein... but I'm not sure what to look for?
Here's what I'm using-

Weekly shampoo: shea moisture Jamaican  castor oil strengthen and restore shampoo

Cowash: as I am coconut cowash

Conditioning: giovanni smooth as silk deeper conditioner

Weekly deep condition: shea moisture raw shea butter deep treatment

Leave in: Cantu shea butter leave iin conditioner repair cream

Gel : eco styles olive oil gel

Heat protection: briogeo roscaro blow dry perfection creme

Thank you in advance! X

Answers

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It looks like the JBCO does, the AsIAm does not, the Giovanni Smooth as Silk does, the Shea Moisture Raw Shea DT does not, the Cantu does not and the gel and heat protectant do. The Cantu Leave-In has a non-water soluable silicone, so you will need something to clarify that periodically.

You might want to check out FitKat's yiutube videos. I think she has your hair type so you might get some ideas there.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • EvieG_UKEvieG_UK Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thank you so much for the info! It's there a leave in you would recommend? Xx
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 5
    I'm still working on finding one I really like. I have used the Alaffia Beautiful Curls Leave-in for Wavy/Curly Hair, and it's ok. I get moisture from it, and I like it because I happen to get enough hold from it for an everyday look. I have also tried Kinky-Curly Knot Today, and it has a lot of slip but is kind of light - had to use more than I want. I haven't made up my mind about it yet. I've also used Giovanni Direct Leave-in, which I thought was a little too heavy, but also pretty good.

ETA:
    A couple others I thought of:
    1) I used to use Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Style Milk and really liked it back then. This has silk protein in it which your hair might like.

2) A couple others I want to try are Curl Junkie Beauticurls or the Hair Lotion, Eco Sevi Hair Lotion, and As I Am Leave-in.

But really you should look at your hair properties, environmental factors and let that guide your decision.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 579Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Considering what you said about your hair elasticity and strength, it seems to me you're doing it right, and have achieved the protein/moisture balance. If it ain't broke...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file