How do you protect and care for your curls if you participate in high-contact sports?

FrenaRenaFrenaRena Posts: 3Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hello everyone! I'm looking for some advice on how I would protect, revive, and care for my curls. I do Jiu-Jitsu, which is a grappling sport, so my hair gets rubbed on the mats, rolled on, pulled, etc. If I just throw my hair in a bun, the hairs at the nape of my neck always get pulled out or broken, and the shape of the rest of my curls usually gets ruined since I have to do a fairly tight bun so it doesn't fall out. Braiding my hair seems to work best and I usually do one french braid, but then it disrupts my 2c/3a curl pattern and I lose definition. I suppose I could wash my hair every day, but that can't be good for it either! Any suggestions would be super helpful! Thank you!

Best Answers

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,352 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    What is your hair width and porosity? If you fine hair, your hair might be able to handle daily washing. Fine, low porosity hair might actually get moisturizing benefits from it.

But you might be able to find some refreshing techniques that work for you. Here is a thread with some youtubes with some ideas. FitKat has high porosity hair, and real life+curly girl has some low porosity techniques.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,352 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    High porosity can be tough. And yeah, if your hair is drying out then frequent washing won't do. FitKat (in that thread above) has high porosity hair, so some of her ideas might work for you. Also check out Rockyn Curls. Her blog and videos really helped me when I was getting started even though her hair type is different than mine, because she gives so much information.

Good luck!
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Answers

• FrenaRenaFrenaRena Posts: 3Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi! Sorry for the late response! I have 2c/3a hair. I've not entirely nailed down my width and porosity yet, but my best guess is medium width and high porosity. My hair is always on the dry side, tends to frizz, but can also be weighed down with heavy products. If I wash it too much, it usually gets really dry and loses definition. Thank you for providing the thread! I will try some of these!
  • nu_natural10nu_natural10 Posts: 113Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Try Firstline Dri Sweat hair wrap 
    Shampoo: Terressetials Mud Wash (lavender or lemon)
    Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Conditioner
    Deep Conditioner: Anita Grant's Rhassoul Deep Condish
    Leave In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Creams/Oils: Raw Shea Butter, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Jamican Black Castor Oil and Jojoba Oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file