Coming January 5 — No Sugar Challenge!

GretchenGretchen AdministratorPosts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
edited January 2018 in Announcements

For 14 days, we're ditching sugar. That means no refined sugars, flours, condiments, sugar filled beverages, and NO artificial sweeteners. Here's what you can expect from the challenge: 

Guide on What to Eat - & What NOT to Eat

Delicious No-Sugar Meal Plan 

Motivational Check-Ins

Tips & Tricks to Help You Stick With It

Stories from Your Fellow Challengers

Sound like something you're up for? Then join us! You'll receive daily motivational emails and support!

Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur

This is what I started with

This is amazing!!! I did this last January, I started the 21 day No Junk Food to see if I could do it. The difference in how I felt was amazing, I was more alert, more energy, slept better, woke up better. I went back to normal eating after and felt like crap, decided to just keep it up. I started 21 days, take a week off, I was missing good food though, so would take a weekend off, then a day. Now its pretty much how I eat, with Saturday (usually just night) being my "cheat day".

The biggest thing for me is sticking to meals (lots of prep) and always having good snacks on hand, keeping crap out of the house and finding alternatives I really enjoy.

Breakfast

Cold Coffee (make a pot and store in the fridge) mixed with chocolate protein powder & a splash of almond milk

Granola Bars - 4 eggs, 4 scoops each flax, chia seeds and hemp seeds, 4 packs sugar free or low sugar instant oatmeal (I do two flavoured, 2 plain) then 4 handfuls of addins.....coconut, nuts, raisins, cranberries, seeds, chocolate chips, whatever you like. I buy a bagged trail mix that's nuts, seed, cranberries and raisins. Mix up eggs & flax/chia/hemp and let sit while preheating oven to 350. It'll get quite think, then mix in the rest. Can make cookies or bars, I make 8 cookies, or but into 16 bars (1 cookie, or 2 bars for breakfast) and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Lunch

Carrot sticks, string cheese, hummus & crackers, yogurt with berries & granola, sugar free pudding cups, mandarins, apples. I keep the fridge at work stocked so I don't get tempted to eat out and kinda snack all day.

Dinner - depending on when I get home. Cheerios & milk, Real peanut butter on whole grain toast (real, not like brown wonder bread) and yogurt, fake pad thai (sauté garlic and add in a good spoon of peanut butter, cook glass noodles, add soy sauce and sesame oil to peanut butter sauce, handful of peanuts, when noodles are cooked, toss in sauce and add veggies/tofu/meat), big salad with lots of stuff in it, scrambled eggs & toast. I try to change it up so I don't get bored!

Snack food.....yogurt, cheese, almonds, low sugar cookies, mini rice cakes, banana ice cream, sunflower seeds....tons of options here!

My Fitness Pal is amazing for tracking!

I lost close to 60lbs this past year loosely sticking to this. If you have any questions...ask away!

I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Can we start a check in thread? Maybe in Non Hair? That seems to get more action then the food/recipe forum.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Absolutely!  I will do it, and repeat the info above so everyone has it!  

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    You would think this would be easy for me since I've eaten low carb for years so I really watch my sugar, read labels, don't eat hardly any packaged food. But I love tea and it has to be sweetened so I can't/won't give up sweetener.  But good luck everybody! 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it