We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Totally confused about products. So overwhelming!

RazanARazanA Posts: 12Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have 3b, low posterity, medium fine hair. I bought a bunch of SM products (leave in conditioner, shampoo, conditioner, detangler, deep conditioner, styler) and none of them worked. I realized SM products are way too heavy for my hair and so they were just sitting on the strands instead of working to moisturize, hydrate, control/tame frizz. 

Now that I understand my hair a little better, I know that I know water based, light products. But I'm overwhelmed about where to even start. I need a shampoo and conditioner that won't strip my hair of its natural oils and will moisturize and hydrate. And I need styling products for my hair that will retain that moisture and reduce frizz. But again, no idea where to start. 

Is there a specific company that caters to low porosity, non coarse hair? Or a line within a company? Any point in the right direction for specific brands and products to use is appreciated! 

Answers

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,718Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    It can be overwhelming! You might want to start at the Shop By Ingredient page and see if you can narrow some products down. Read the descriptions of products and make a list of ones that seem suitable for our type of hair. And just read read read!
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : / -- https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • bomegabomega Posts: 769Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    What is the weather like where you live?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner (summer), Alaffia Coconut Reishi Nourishing Conditioner, Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Leave-in: Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Kinky-Curly Knot Today, Alaffia Beautiful Curls for Wavy/Curly Hair
    Styler: Giovanni LA Natural Gel
    Treatment: daily black tea spray, coconut oil treatment, 2-step henndigo with amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 369Registered Users, Moderators Curl Connoisseur
    I started with Deva Curl, because the founder of that line is the one who wrote the Curly Girl Method book.  I figured she would know best :)

When I started, there was only the original line (no Decadence or Delight lines), and although I tried the other lines, I still like the original the best.  And my hair is very similar to yours.

I like the low-poo instead of the no-poo.  No-poo just weighs my hair down.  Then I use One Condition for both a rinse out and leave in conditioner.  I use B'Leave In in the warmer months, and Ultra Defining Gel.  And that's it.  I've tried a few of the other products, but I didn't really like the others.

It's expensive, and some people don't like the smell, but it's a good way to start.  I've since moved on to other products, but I still LOVE the conditioner. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2C/3A, fine hair, low density, low porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Noughty Wave Hello Shampoo
    Deva One Condition original formula
    Dippity Do Girls with Curls Gelee (the more I use this, the more I love it!)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file