Day one wavy hair not curly

MonipenMonipen Registered Users Posts: 64 Curl Connoisseur
So today was my first day of going curly in a long time. I still don't have all the right hair products, but I'll get there.

The interesting thing is that my hair seems to be more of a wavy 2 rather than a curly 3. I think I'm a 3a, but I guess that will take some time after straightening my hair for nearly 17 years. In fact I can see that part of my hair in the back looks more straight. 

I think I will probably need to get a hair-cut as well, my hair is pretty long. Is it possible that if my hair would be a bit shorter that it's a better chance of curls forming?

Comments

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Yay! Congrats on your first curly day! Yeah, getting it cut will likely improve the curl by taking some of the weight out. Deep conditioning and genetally following the CG-Method will help too.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Congrats! It's only the first day, and your hair will get better. But at least your hair is very wearable! Some of us weren't that lucky when we started. The ends are suspiciously straight so they may be beyond saving. But trimming or cutting your hair seems to help a great deal. Of course, this depends on what you're comfortable with. A trim or cut should help in the volume department for sure or at least get rid of some ends that won't curl. Best of luck!
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    your hair looks great!   if you get a haircut, make sure it is someone who understands wavy/curly hair.  and be VERY clear on how much to take off -- inches, a trim, a dusting???

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • MonipenMonipen Registered Users Posts: 64 Curl Connoisseur
    Day 2 and my hair has lost even more of the curly pattern. I do have a silk pillow-case and I did put up my hair pineapple style. But overall I'm glad over the fact that my hair doesn't look dry or extremely frizzy. It has a sort of shine to it. I'll just spray my hair from a water-bottle today and add a bit more of the cream. But I think I may have to wash my hair again by tomorrow, day 3. But no worries... I've got the right sulfate and other stuff- free products. I may even try to co-wash (though I've never done that before, it would be my first time).

Regarding a hair-dresser, I've done my research since I live in the Netherlands and there aren't that many that cut curly hair, but I've found one that specifically does it.
    Just something to try out because some people it works for and others it does the exact opposite. But you might consider trying a hard hold gel in the future. If you scrunch your hair with the gel in it, it may have longer hold to the waves/curls. Although, some people find that a harder hold gel does the opposite and weighs their hair down. Just a thought you continue to experience the problem.
    In regards to a hair stylist, there aren't any curly hair experts around me. I do get my hair cut both dry and wet. It's totally doable with wavy/looser curly hair. Just ask for long layers and don't let them near your hair with a razor or thinning shears. If you aren't happy with the cut or are brave, you can find youtube tutorials for cutting curly hair yourself.
    So day 3 and the curls where pretty much gone and my hair was looking awful so I decided to wash my hair again. The difference: on day 1 and the first picture I posted I still used a regular shampoo with sulfates and a deep conditioner with silicone (I didn't have another) plus the styling cream (She Moisture Jamaican Castor Oil line). Today I went completely silicone and sulfate free. 

The only thing is that when I bought the products the regular conditioner was sold out, so I got the leave-in conditioner instead (this is theShea Moisture Jamaican Castor Oil line). The result: I don't think my hair liked this. :/ It took forever to dry, and when it finally was completely dry it looks more like I've got the "wet look", it's all hanging down no volume whatsoever and it looks greasy. The only positive note: I think I managed to get it more curly than the first time. It could have been caused by the fact that I used too much of that leave-in conditioner, but I felt like I really had to because my hair was so entangled that it was impossible for me to detangle with only my fingers I had to use a comb, and lost quite some hair doing it. I did apply the conditioner to soaking wet hair, and then I scrunched my hair with a microfiber towel and hope that the excess of product would come off this way. But then I did use the styling cream as well, although I didn't use as much of this because it just felt like it was too much.

Hmmm, I guess I'll have to learn all of this by trial and error. I think that I will rinse this conditioner next time, even though it says it's a leave-in.

Oh and another thing: I wear glasses and my hair is always parted sideways. Now I keep getting this greasy stain on my glass on the one side. I keep cleaning it but it keeps coming back because that's where the hair hangs down. Ha ha ha...:D 

BrittanyM said:
    Just something to try out because some people it works for and others it does the exact opposite. But you might consider trying a hard hold gel in the future. If you scrunch your hair with the gel in it, it may have longer hold to the waves/curls. Although, some people find that a harder hold gel does the opposite and weighs their hair down. Just a thought you continue to experience the problem.
    In regards to a hair stylist, there aren't any curly hair experts around me. I do get my hair cut both dry and wet. It's totally doable with wavy/looser curly hair. Just ask for long layers and don't let them near your hair with a razor or thinning shears. If you aren't happy with the cut or are brave, you can find youtube tutorials for cutting curly hair yourself.

Thank you for that suggestion. I think I might try a gel. The only reason why I at first have been doubting about it is because I had bad experiences with curl - gels and mousses in the past. But that's because they contained alcohol which I only just recently learned. And they would leave my hair crispy and then dry out my hair. But I know now how to look for the right kind of gel.
    The Shea Moisture one has really heavy Shea Butter that your hair may not like. Did you clarify the silicones out from your last silicone laden conditioner? Just a thought since you may need to sulfate clarify one time to remove everything. That may have caused it to look greasy with the Shea Moisture. In regards to using the leave in, you can try less. I would certainly use it as a rinse out conditioner rather than tossing it. I would mix it in with a good rinse out just to ensure your hair gets the moisture it needs.
    In regards to gel, I know which ones you are talking about, and yes, those are horrible. I like the ECOCO styler Argan oil gel, but it may not be readily available outside the US. I'm not sure.
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    I want to second the recommendation to clarify before continuing. I remember you found a sulfate you could use, but did you find a deep treatment?

I also need a rinse-out conditioner, even if I am going to use a leave-in after. Some how skipping the rinse-out doesn't work for my hair. You could try using the leave-in as a rinseout, but I once tried that, and it reeealllly didn't work. It was with a wavy line of products that didn't have a specific rinseout, but had extra stylers. It didn't work for me. :/ Did you see if you could find VO5 conditioners or Suave Tropical Coconut in your area? In addition I think one of the Tresemme conditioners is CG Friendly (maybe Tresemme Perfectly Undone?). These could be used for a deep treatment also. 

The Shea Moisure JBCO seems to be one of their heavier product lines. If you can, I would still suggest getting the Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Shampoo, Conditioner, and Styling Milk (plus maybe the Curling Gel Souffle.) I guess technically this is designed for thicker hair, but my fine, medium porosity (at the time), 2C curls just loveloveloved this stuff. Of course your mileage may vary. The Shea Moisture Fruit Fusion line is supposed to be their lighter line.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights