Boar's Hair brushing dry before a cleanse and style routine

boldilocksboldilocks Posts: 39Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
I have heard it said to curly haired people, and read it many times, "don't brush your hair!" Decades ago, before I knew I was supposed to be curly, I purchased this 100% boar bristle brush. They tout them for being able to flex well and expertly distribute the head's natural oils through the hair shaft without stressing the hair. I ignored that brush for many years once I found out that curly is what my hair really wants to be. In the past couple of months, I began picking it up again (the brush) and using it right before a shower and hair cleansing / styling session. It is only about once a week though I sometimes must wash twice a week because my hair is not behaving to my liking. By washing, I really mean wetting it down and applying Deva One Condition and rinsing it mostly out. I began the dry brushing before the shower cleanse and found that the boar bristle did bring head oils down into my hair really well, acting as a kind of natural pre-poo oil treatment. I have great elasticity, yet, I wonder: is there a good chance that I am not just distributing oils and removing dead loose hairs, but also breaking hairs? Goodness, I got majorly razor thinned in 2017 and I didnt know any better, and the last thing I want is more shorties poking out, not to mention the bad condition of snapped ends. I'm not feeling like I'm snapping things, and have felt this boar brushing dry right before a shower cleanse is probably a good thing, but I want to glean from the wisdom of others here who might have experience with this and/or know more than I do about this practice...Thank you!
Formerly Dandilocks; embracing the bold in 2018
Type: 2c-3a gray natural/ Thickness: coarse, some medium/ Density: high/ Porosity: normal/ Elasticity: good/ Style: deva cut/ Products: Deva One Condition (co-wash, conditioner, leave-in), CHS Curl Keeper/
Hair Goals: less frizz, better clumping, better 2-3 day hair, more shine

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    If you don't believe you are breaking hair, then it's probably just shed hair. What you're doing is something I'm a fan of. I finger detangle my hair then brush it starting at the ends. Then I will go through when I know it is detangled completely  to distribute the oils. Just a suggestion if you are really worried about it.
  • boldilocksboldilocks Posts: 39Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks, @BrittanyM, yay! I'm glad to know you are doing this, too. Yes, you're right, I'm not hitting any tangles, and my hair appears to have good elasticity. I was just wondering if maybe I am ignorant to a curls-brushing truth, since I began the practice while attempting to tame my hair into straighter ways. I like how you finger detangle first; I can make more of a point to do that before the boar bristle brush. Are you using boar, or something else?
    Formerly Dandilocks; embracing the bold in 2018
    Type: 2c-3a gray natural/ Thickness: coarse, some medium/ Density: high/ Porosity: normal/ Elasticity: good/ Style: deva cut/ Products: Deva One Condition (co-wash, conditioner, leave-in), CHS Curl Keeper/
    Hair Goals: less frizz, better clumping, better 2-3 day hair, more shine

I have one but I actually just use the tangle teezer. I may pull it out and give it a try since reading your post. I find the tangle teezer is enough to distribute the oils from my scalp but probably isn't as effective as the boar bristle brush since it is not packed together like the boar bristle brushes.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I use a boar bristle brush occasionally. I mainly use it in the winter on days I don't wash my hair. The weather here is really dry in the winter, and if I don't have time to wet my hair down on day 2, it looks horribly dry and limp, with barely any wave or volume. So I will brush it with the boar bristle brush and then wet my hands and lightly smooth down the frizz on the canopy and try to scrunch in a bit of wave at the ends. Then I tuck my hair behind my ears and call it good. On day 3, I usually brush my hair again and then put my hair up.

I think you just have to listen to your hair, and it sounds like you are doing that. If you notice beneficial effects, then by all means continue on. :)
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    @boldilocks, I don't own a brush, haven't for several years now. I am a fan of finger de-tangling and combing. My hair is far too fragile for brushing, no matter the type of brush. 

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

@boldilocks, so I finally pulled out my boar bristle brush and brushed my hair with it after finger detangling. I kind of massaged my scalp and then distributed the oil down my length. It was a nice change and one I will be implementing from now on, much better at distributing the oils than the tangle teezer is. Of course I can only do this right before I shower because it did such a good job that it made my hair look like I hadn't washed it in a week (I mean, I hadn't but no one needs to know that.) Thanks for sharing your technique!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I don't necessarily think hair brushes are damaging to all hair. For less curly hair, 2c or less, I think brushes are fine, even when hair is dry. For 3b hair and curlier, I think brushes and combs can do some damage if not handle right.
    Now that my hair is pretty long, I use a brush a couple times a year, with lots of conditioner in my hair, to really give it a good detangling and get rid of all the shed hair that gets caught up in the rest of my hair. I then do my regular wash routine and style as usual. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file